Hollywood isn't known for its long-term relationships—but sometimes you just think it's going to work!
Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman separating after 30 years of marriage and some hilarious shared screentime came as a major shock today. Not only had they seemingly carved out a drama-free niche in which to live their lives, they had just been together without incident for so long!
But they certainly aren't the first seemingly rock-solid couple to call it quits. Here are five other breakups that totally bummed us out:
1. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver: Well, maybe it doesn't seem shocking now, post-60 Minutes interview. But, remember, word that the musclebound star turned governor of California and his Kennedy-scion wife of 25 years had separated came just a few months after he had left office and before he admitted to fathering a son with the family's maid. Sure, everyone had heard tales of Schwarzenegger being a dog, and the term long-suffering wife comes to mind, but it just seemed that the couple were in it for the long haul, Bill and Hillary-style.
2. Demi Moore and Bruce Willis: Now this was the Demi split that made us sad. Together for 10 years and the parents of three daughters, Bruce and Demi were one of those couples whose body language screamed, "We are so into each other!" Their relationship postdivorce—attending each other's weddings, borrowing island vacation homes, etc.—only serves to point out how much they've always meant to each other. Which, of course, makes their breakup in 2000 all the more baffling!
3. Will Arnett and Amy Poehler: We had high hopes for the comedy all-stars, who only made relationship-related headlines during their nine-year marriage when they welcomed son Archie in 2008 and then, two years later, his brother Abel. Plus, the arrival of the kids answered our question as to whether the incredibly busy actors ever had any time to spend together. So far, however, we can at least the funny folks away under "Exes Who Get Along": Arnett attended Poehler's 41st birthday party barely a week after they confirmed their separation.
4. Heidi Klum and Seal: He only proposed in an igloo he built himself and they only renewed their vows every year. So consider us blindsided when the seemingly so in love duo called it quits after nearly seven years of marriage and a devoted friendship before that. Now they're just like any other pair of exes: She's dating her bodyguard and he's doing The Voice all the way over in Australia.
5. Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon: They never formally swapped vows, but being together for 23 years and having two children together indicated that the altruistic Oscar winners were in it for the long haul. Call us beyond bummed when the plug was pulled on one of Hollywood's most enduring relationships.