The Trend's Guest Editor for April has been the always chic Lauren Conrad. She's dished on her favorite green products, offered up tips for shopping on a budget and also shared decorating advice. And for her last week as our Guest Editor, the designer and author has some pointers for making some of the runway's hottest looks work in real-life. Read on for Lauren's exclusive tips!
I always manage to find inspiration from the runways of my favorite designers' newest collections. But, often times, it is difficult to differentiate what beauty and fashion trends can translate from the runway to real-life. Thankfully, the Spring 2013 shows featured several trends that I could see myself adding to my everyday style repertoire. From a punchy pout to ladylike lace, here are five runway ready fashion and beauty looks to try this season.
Chris Moore/Catwalking/Getty Images; MARTIN BUREAU/AFP/GettyImages
1. Bright Lips: If you've read my beauty book, you know that I believe a bright red lip can add a touch of glamour to any beauty look. Which is why I was excited to see lipstick of all colors—orange, pink and red—on models at the runways of Holly Fulton, Dolce&Gabbana and Prada. Try creating a bright ombré lip using this tutorial. Just make sure that if you're going to try a bright lip hue, downplay the rest of your makeup with a neutral eye, light blush, and a subtle bronzer.
2. Winged Eyes: If you haven't noticed by now that I love the look of winged eyeliner, then let me tell you—it is one makeup trick I swear by. A swoop of black liquid liner on your top lid is an easy and quick way to make the rest of your makeup look polished without having to put in much effort. And if you want to go for a softer approach, use an eye pencil and smudge the line a bit, or use an eyeliner brush to blend liner onto your lid. Channel the makeup looks from the spring runways of Miu Miu, Giorgio Armani and Thierry Mugler for some eyeliner inspiration of your own.
Victor VIRGILE/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images; Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images
3. Lace and Eyelet: There's nothing more ladylike than a lace or eyelet outfit. Rock one of these flirty spring fabrics in the form of a skirt, dress or top à la Valentino, Giambattista Valli and Bottega Veneta. I can almost guarantee you will love the lightweight fabric and the ladylike look.
4. Monochromatic: All-over color was a big hit on the spring runways. A monochromatic look puts a fresh new spin on color blocking, and it can be really flattering if you choose a color that brings out your complexion. This green ensemble from Stella McCartney is a perfectly professional way to incorporate this trend into your workwear wardrobe.
5. Ruffles: Ruffles were one of my favorite details from several spring collections including Chloé, Marni and Givenchy (to name a few). While they may be girly, ruffles add a flirty touch to any spring or summer outfit. Rock the ruffled look on a pastel dress, like the one above from the Chloé Spring 2013 collection.
Which one of these runway trends will you wear this season?