Larry Busacca/Getty Images
Bill Cosby's NBC sitcom is dead. E! News has confirmed NBC has pulled the plug on Cosby's proposed sitcom comeback and ceased development on the project.
This comes after Netflix postponed Bill Cosby 77, a new standup special. The special, which was taped on Cosby's 77th birthday earlier this year, was set to debut on November 28.
Decades-old rape allegations against the former Cosby Show star resurfaced after comedian Hannibal Buress called Cosby a rapist during a standup set. More headlines were made when women who had made the allegations against Cosby started speaking out in the press. Recently, America's Next Top Model veteran judge Janice Dickinson came out and said Cosby sexually assaulted her. Cosby's lawyer has denied Dickinson's claims and in response to queries about the past allegations issued this statement on BillCosby.com:
"Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced," the lawyer said. "The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment," John P. Schmitt said in a statement. "He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work," the message added. "There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives."
NBC touted Cosby's return to sitcoms at the 2014 Television Critics Association Press Tour. Glee's Mike O'Malley was one of the writers attached to the project, a multigenerational sitcom.
"[It]'s not going to be something where, you know, hard-biting and edgy stuff. It's what people are asking for," Cosby told E! News about his new show back in April. "People I meet in the airports, they want things about life that makes them laugh about themselves. There's kindness and sharing and it makes you feel good, but it's not goody-goody. I think we can get to the people with it."
(E! and NBC are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)