SHUT UP, CRONUTS.
While that half-croissant, half-donut and full-on peasant of a dessert hybrid was pulling the wool over our eyes, a magical dream factory in Chicago, called Waffles Café, was creating something truly special: a half-waffle, half-donut blessing called...THE WONUT.
[insert emoji praise hands here]
The wonut is made with a slightly thicker version of the café's signature waffle batter, which is cooked in a waffle iron and then deep-fried. Thrillist says the wonut tastes "crispy and waffle-shaped on the outside, cakey and fluffy on the inside."
Afterwards, they wonut is dipped—and occasionally double dipped!—in sugar, marshmallow, maple or chocolate glaze and topped with sprinkles, chocolate shavings, or a number of other toppings.
So far, the wonut flavor roster has included:
• Mexican chocolate with spicy cocoa inside and a candied orange peel and dark chocolate shavings on the outside
• Whole wheat with toasted marshmallow glaze, granola, and dried fruit
• Green tea with Japanese matcha powder, candied pistachios, and ginger
• Birthday cake with sugar icing and sprinkles
• Red velvet classic with red velvet shavings on top
• Double chocolate
And there's vegan options.
So basically Waffles Café is perfect. The wonut is perfect. And if anyone goes to 3611 N Broadway in Chicago between 8:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Mon. through Thurs. (8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday) and gets us a Wonut, we will promise you our first born.