Alas, the news that the couple will be renewing their wedding vows—for the fifth time—next month couldn't help but make us think of all the other famous duos who met up at the altar multiple times during the course of their marriages…but ultimately split up.
We wish Monroe and Moroccan's parents—as well as Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, who are also reportedly going to renew their vows—all the happiness in the world, but here are five knot-retiers whose vows swaps ultimately didn't amount to a hill of beans:
1. Heidi Klum & Seal: Did any famous couple ever renew their vows more than these two? After tying the knot on May 10, 2005, on the beach in Mexico, they spent five anniversaries remarrying each other in front of family and friends. Sadly, their last trip down the aisle was in 2010, and they announced just this past January that they were ending their marriage.
2. Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman: The actors and parents of two adopted children certainly made a go of it, lasting 10 years before splitting. In fact, they celebrated their 10th anniversary (Christmas Eve, 2001) by renewing their vows. Fans were shocked—shocked—when Cruise filed for divorce the following February.
3. Madonna & Guy Ritchie: The rumored-to-be-in-trouble couple doubled down on vows in a private Kabbalah ceremony in August 2008. An insider told London's Daily Mail at the time that "both Guy and Madonna made vows to each other and pledged to try to make their marriage strong again." Ultimately, however, the union buckled under the weight of all that strength, and Madonna filed for divorce two months later.
4. Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony: The Q'Viva duo renewed their vows twice, first in 2008 and again in 2010 on the occasion of their sixth wedding anniversary. Even better for their loved ones, the extremely rich and incredibly close duo even reportedly registered for gifts the second time around. They announced the end of their marriage last July.
5. Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher: There were a lot of rumors circulating about these two in the months leading up to their end-of-marriage reveal, one of them being that they pulled a Madonna and renewed their vows, Kabbalah-style, while on a sojourn to Israel in October 2010 to mend their relationship. "Asking 4 the energy 2 forge bonds with our similarities & find compromise in our differences," Kutcher tweeted from the Holy Land.