Ron Galella/Getty Images
Corey Haim's death just crossed the county line.
A prescription with the actor's name on it was found during the course of an ongoing investigation into the purchase of bogus prescription pads by a San Diego vendor, California Attorney General Jerry Brown announced Friday.
Haim's death, which authorities at first tentatively attributed to a drug overdose, appears to be linked to an "illegal and massive prescription drug ring," Brown said.
Therefore, the 38-year-old's tragic passing has now become a matter of state interest.
Four prescriptions in Haim's name were found in the apartment he shared with his mother. Investigators found no illegal drugs.
An autopsy performed yesterday was inconclusive pending the results of toxicology tests, but Haim's mom, Judy, told Access Hollywood that she was informed by the L.A. County Coroner's Office that her son had an enlarged heart and died of pulmonary congestion, in which his lungs filled up with fluid.
He is said to have been battling flu-like symptoms in the days before his death.
The state attorney general's office also spearheaded the case against Howard K. Stern and two doctors accused of facilitating Anna Nicole Smith's drug habit. The trio have pleaded not guilty and are scheduled to go on trial Aug. 4.
We've heard a lot of sad stories over the years. See which other celebs were gone too soon in our Hollywood: Dying Young gallery.