Getty Images; WireImage
Getty Images; WireImage
The Emmys has a long history of honoring the right people for their contributions to the wonderful world of television. The Emmys also has a long history of head-scratching decisions when it comes to honoring people for their contributions to the wonderful world of television.
Over the years, the Emmys rectified some of those "Huh?" moments—Kyle Chandler winning for Friday Night Lights, hooray!—but there are still so many people snubbed by the Primetime Emmy Awards that we're still befuddled about. With the 2014 nominations around the corner (this Thursday, July 10), let's take a look at some of the people who never won—or were never nominated for!—Emmys.
1. Connie Britton: Let's just get this out of the way first. Mrs. Coach never won an Emmy for Friday Night Lights. She still hasn't gotten one for Nashville either. This sort of discredits the entire Emmys process as a whole, but we suppose we'll keep paying attention to them. Unwillingly.
2. Steve Carell: Perhaps one of the greatest Emmy robberies in recent history, Carell never took home a statue for playing Michael Scott on The Office. He was nominated, but never got the statue. But you know what? That's OK. He has something even better. Dundees.
3. Michael K. Williams: Williams wasn't even nominated for The Wire. Or Boardwalk Empire. It's all in the game?
Carole Segal/Sci Fi
4. Mary McDonnell: Once upon a time there was a show on Syfy called Battlestar Galatica. McDonnell was amazing in it as President Laura Roslin. She was never nominated for an Emmy for her work on it. That is a crime. However, she was nominated for her work on The Closer and ER. But she did't win those either. Not OK.
5. Angela Lansbury: Yep, with 18 Emmy nominations—12 for Murder, She Wrote—Lansbury never took home one. Not a single one. A mystery that not even Jessica Fletcher could solve.
6. Jackie Gleason: To the moon, Emmys! With four nominations, The Honeymooners star never took home an award.
CBS Archive/Getty Images
7. Andy Griffith: Somehow Griffith was never nominated for playing Andy Taylor on The Andy Griffith Show. He received one nomination in 1981 for Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Special for Murder in Texas.
8. Courteney Cox: Cox was never nominated for Friends or Cougar Town. Rude.
9. Maura Tierney: After turning in great comedy work on NewsRadio and then becoming the heart of ER, Tierney never took home any gold. She was nominated once for playing Abby Lockhart on ER. Think of all the tears she made you cry. Then cry some more that she was never recognized for it.
10. Jon Hamm: Don Draper can't get no respect. The Mad Men star has been nominated for nine acting Emmys—including ones for his guest spots on 30 Rock—and has yet to take home a trophy.
11. Jason Alexander: Serenity now! Despite seven nominations, Alexander never took home an Emmy for playing George Costanza on Seinfeld.
12. Katey Sagal: Sagal as been on some seriously different ends of the TV spectrum having starred in Married…With Children and currently kicking butt on Sons of Anarchy. But she has yet to receive a single Emmy nomination. Is there a biker gang somewhere who can, um, politely and respectfully make this happen?
13. Lauren Graham: Despite being on two of your favorite TV shows as two of TV's most memorable moms, Gilmore Girls and Parenthood, the Emmys have never honored Graham with a nomination, rendering us something that Lorelai Gilmore never was...Speechless.