Tim Whitby/Michael Buckner/Getty Images
Tim Whitby/Michael Buckner/Getty Images
Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele are getting ready to enter the Red Room of Pain.
After wondering who would take Charlie Hunnam's place as the male lead, production finally confirmed that Hollywood hunk Jamie Dornan will be stepping into the role, starring opposite Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey.
And although fans may turn fifty shades of red watching these two actors get racy on the big screen for the adaptation of E L James' erotica novel, we must remind ourselves that they're not the first (or last) duo to get hot and heavy for a film.
Just take these sexy onscreen pairs as an example...
Andrew Cooper, Summit Entertainment
1. Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart, Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1: Obviously we had to include the couple that inspired Fifty Shades. For three books, Twihards were anticipating some sexy lovin' to go on between Bella Swan and her vampire lover Edward Cullen. And when it finally happened, viewers were left with a visual of pillow feathers everywhere and a broken bed frame, calling to their imagination to fill in the blanks.
20th Century Fox
2. Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie, Mr. & Mrs. Smith: Talk about tough love. Once John and Jane learn that they're both assassins hired by competing agencies to kill each other, the boredom from their marriage vanishes. Sure, things get a little tricky at one point, but the angst ultimately builds up to a very memorable (and sexy!) moment.
3. Diane Lane & Oiliver Martinez, Unfaithful: Morally, this is all wrong (hence the title). Sexually, this is everything. Connie Sumner finds herself going astray and begins indulging into an adulterous fling with a hot young man named Paul. Ultimately, her hubby Ed (Richard Gere) begins to learn what's going on, but before the you-know-what hits the fan, Lane and Martinez's characters give us scenes that make it hard to look away.
New Line Cinema
4. Rachel McAdams & Ryan Gosling, The Notebook: Not only did this film tug at hearts and require an entire box of Kleenex, but the romance between Noah and Allie was so electrifying that it became one of the most passionate love scenes in film. It also made many women long for a man that will not only pick them up and kiss them in the rain, but also write them a love letter every day of the year.
5. Jennifer Lopez & George Clooney, Out of Sight: Forget the fact that these are two very attractive Hollywood actors, their 1998 flick was actually voted as one of the sexiest films of all time, getting labeled as a "cinematic aphrodisiac." A career bank robber (Clooney) breaks out of jail and shares a moment of mutual attraction with a US Marshall (Lopez) he has kidnapped, including a super steamy (literally) bathtub scene.
6. Mila Kunis & Natalie Portman, Black Swan: Guys may have turned down seeing this movie once they heard it was about ballet, but little did they know the psychological thriller featured one of the most talked about girl-on-girl scenes since Wild Things. And did we mention it's between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis?! Fantasies came true with this film.
Laurie Sparham / Focus Features
7. Aaron Taylor-Johnson & Keira Knightley, Anna Karenina: This pairing is great for so many reasons. First of all, it may not look like it from the photo, but these two actors get down and dirty (don't believe us? Check out this GIF). Secondly, the Kick Ass star—who, in our opinion, would have also made a great Christian Grey—is married to Fifty Shades director Sam Taylor-Johnson. And, to make the connection come full circle, his costar Knightley once dated Dornan aka Christian Grey.
8. Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet, Titanic: Five words—hand on the car window. Fans of the iconic film will always remember the steamy imprint of Rose's hand as she finally got it on with the young and handsome Jack Dawson. Sure, the naked drawing of Rose wearing the necklace (and only the necklace) is a big moment too, but that was just a tease for what was to come.
Warner Bros. Pictures
9. Whitney Houston & Kevin Costner, The Bodyguard: They continuously bumped heads, but Rachel knew that Frank Farmer was the only man she could trust and turn to when her safety was in question. Once the walls came down, so did the clothes. And it was a beautiful thing.