Win McNamee, Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
If there's one thing we can count on, it's that first lady Michelle Obama will always have a smart strategy for her style.
Whether she's repeating outfits or surfacing affordable finds or putting little known designers on the map, our beloved FLOTUS always keeps us guessing—in a good way!
When she stepped out in a brilliant navy silk jacquard coat by Thom Browne at President Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony in Washington, D.C., yesterday, a lot of people were scrambling to find out more about this buzzed-about designer.
Here's what you need to know about Thom Browne:
1. Thom Browne Is Known for His Menswear: The New York-based designer is most celebrated for his structured suits with clean tailoring and signature details. He has a flagship store in the Tribeca neighborhood of Manhattan.
2. He Didn't Study Fashion in College: The creative visionary earned a degree in economics at the University of Notre Dame and was also a member of the swim team at the time.
3. He Used to Be a Struggling Actor in L.A.: Before Browne realized his calling, he attempted an acting career in the City of Angels, before taking a job as a salesman at the Giorgio Armani showroom in New York. He furthered his fashion expertise working with Club Monaco and also partnered with Brooks Brothers for a successful high-end collaboration called Black Fleece in 2006.
4. He's a Winner: Among other honors, Browne was named the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Menswear Designer of the Year in 2006 and also named the GQ Designer of the Year in 2008.
5. He Keeps Things Short: Browne is best known for starting the edgy downtown trend of cropped men's trousers exposing the ankle, and is also a huge proponent of tighter, shrunken fits for the fellas. And yes, he masterfully pulls off the avant-garde look in real life, as well.
What do you think of Michelle Obama's Thom Browne look?
See more of Michelle Obama's fashion moments