Warner Bros; Paramount; Sony Classics; The Weinstein Company
Warner Bros; Paramount; Sony Classics; The Weinstein Company
It's nice to know that, impressive the new class of Golden Globe nominees is, the stars can still be humbled by a nomination. Even when the nods aren't really surprising (we're talking to you, Angelina Jolie. And don't even start, Meryl Streep).
Of course, it's only fitting that in the year that saw an ode to silent films sweep the nominations, some of the nominees have remained quiet on their honors (make it up to us on Oscar morning, George Clooney).
So, now that the newly minted nominees know that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association likes them—they really like them—just what did they have to say about it?
• Charlize Theron, Young Adult; Best Actress, Comedy or Musical: "I am truly honored to be recognized by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Young Adult was a dream project for me. Collaborating with Jason Reitman was incredible. We had a great time making this film and Mavis Gary is one of the most interesting characters I have ever played."
• Owen Wilson, Midnight in Paris; Best Actor, Comedy or Musical: "It is an absolute honor to be nominated. It was a great movie to work on and I couldn't be happier to be recognized by the HFPA."
• Angelina Jolie, In the Land of Blood and Honey; Best Foreign Language Film: "I am grateful that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is honoring our film. This was a true collaboration and I am forever indebted to our cast and crew, who experienced their own personal tragedies in the Bosnian War and gave me an authentic perspective into the conflict. This nomination is a tribute to the collective talent and passion of this extraordinary cast."
• Leonardo DiCaprio, J. Edgar; Best Actor, Drama: "I'm honored to be nominated by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association today. I was extremely humbled to work alongside Clint Eastwood and the entire cast of J. Edgar, and am very excited to be recognized for my work on the film. Thank you."
• Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady; Best Actress, Drama: "I'm thrilled to be included in this beautiful group of actors and actresses. I'm very proud of our movie and look forward to seeing everyone at the party in January."
• Elton John, Gnomeo and Juliet; Best Original Song, "Hello Hello":"I am just thrilled that Bernie [Taupin] and I have been nominated for a Golden Globe. What a great end to a fantastic year!"
• Kristen Wiig, Bridesmaids; Best Actress, Comedy or Musical: "I am shocked and elated. I am honored to be included in the company of these actors whom I've always admired and respected. I feel truly blessed. Annie and I wrote this film 5 years ago and are absolutely overwhelmed at the response it has received. I am grateful to the HFPA for acknowledging our film."
• Madonna, W.E.; Best Original Song, "Masterpiece": (to Anderson Cooper) "I was really happy. I am so proud of Abel Korzeniowski who did the score for my film. I don't know, it was a great way to wake up this morning."
• Michael Fassbender, Shame; Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama: "We knew that this was going to be a challenging piece for some audiences, so I am especially delighted that the HFPA have acknowledged my contribution to Steve McQueen's amazing film. I am thrilled—thank you."
• Steven Spielberg, The Adventures of Tintin; Best Animated Film: "After or long adventure to bring Tintin to the screen, this is a very happy moment for us and for Peter Jackson, who got the news in New Zealand. We join in thanking the members of the HFPA for this recognition."
• Shailene Woodley, The Descendants; Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: "I'm so excited and grateful to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for this honor, as well as for recognizing the brilliance of both Alexander Payne and George Clooney. Creating The Descendants was such a magical time in my life, and to now be in the company of so many remarkable nominees this year is humbling. This entire journey has been a once in a lifetime experience that I am incredibly thankful for."
• Kenneth Branagh, My Week With Marilyn; Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture: "To be recognized for portraying one of the greatest actors of our time is truly an honor, and I am incredibly thankful to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for their continued support of our film. Working alongside Michelle Williams was an extremely rewarding experience, and I'm thrilled that both she and our excellent team of filmmakers have also been recognized for their incredible work. I feel very blessed to be nominated for a role that is so close to my heart."
• Michael Hazanavicius, The Artist; Best Director, Best Screenplay: "It's a great privilege and an honor for us to be nominated for a Golden Globe award by the HFPA. This movie is a love letter to Hollywood, and it's an indescribable joy to receive this news. I feel lucky, proud and excited to be included alongside such brilliant movies. Thank you."
• Jean Dujardin, The Artist; Best Actor, Comedy or Musical: "Thank you so much to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for this incredible gift. To be recognized alongside such brilliant actors is an honor. The Golden Globe nomination for The Artist has left me speechless!"
• Bérénice Bejo, The Artist; Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture: "A Golden Globe nomination is unbelievable! I am so happy, and am very grateful to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, and to audiences across America, for their support of The Artist."
• Director John Lasseter and producer Denise Ream, Cars 2; Best Animated Film: "This is a thrill for all of us who worked so tirelessly on Cars 2. We love the Cars world and these characters, and they have truly become part of the Pixar family. We are so very honored that the HFPA has recognized the work and passion that went into making the film."
• Composer Brian Byrne, Albert Nobbs; Best Song, "Lay Your Head Down": "Just picked myself up off the floor—can't believe it!! So thrilled and delighted for Glenn Close and Janet too. Sinead O'Connor brought this song to life in a way that no other artist could have! Thank you HFPA, and thanks dad!"
• Director Pédro Almodovar, The Skin I Live In; Best Foreign Language Film: "I am very happy with my Golden Globe nomination for my latest film The Skin I Live In. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has always been very generous with me and I thank them from the bottom of my heart. I'm competing with other foreign films that are so fabulous; I don't mind being defeated by any of them. For me, the award will be being at the Beverly Hilton sharing dinner and mineral water with so many people I admire."
• Producer Chris Columbus, The Help; Best Picture, Comedy or Musical: "The Golden Globe nominations are an incredible validation for us, a testament to the integrity of the film's powerful performances and to the beautiful direction of Tate Taylor. Thank you to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for recognizing a film that is so close to the hearts of everyone involved. Today we all share these nominations with the mighty people of Greenwood and Jackson Mississippi, who took us into their homes, showered us with love and treated us like family. Because of their enormous support, we were able to make The Help."
• Trent Reznor, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo; Original Score: "We're incredibly flattered to receive a Golden Globe nomination for our work on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. We spent the last year immersed in this project contributing to David Fincher's vision and in awe of the talented group of people he assembled to make this film. Atticus and I would like to thank the members of the Hollywood Foreign Press for this gracious acknowledgement of our work."
• Director Chris Miller, Puss in Boots; Best Animated Film: "What a great wake-up call for our entire cast and crew. We can't wait for the ceremony. To quote the cat himself, Antonio Banderas, 'Me-Wow!'"
• Director Alexander Payne, The Descendants; Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Picture, Drama: "I'm very touched by the HFPA's recognition of The Descendants among so many other fine films this year, and I'm particularly gratified by theinclusion of Shailene Woodley along with George Clooney for acting honors. I'm looking forward to the Golden Globes dinner and hope they provide a low-sodium option."
• Director and cowriter Sarah Smith, Arthur Christmas; Best Animated Film: "I'm just delighted that the brilliant craftsmanship, hard work and dedication of the team who made Arthur Christmas has been honoured by a Golden Globe nomination. Thank you to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. We hope the movie gives Christmas pleasure!"