Randy Travis

Good news, country fans. Randy Travis appears to be on the rebound—though he's not out of the woods yet.

In a video released by the country star's publicist and posted online by his Texas hospital, his heart doctors announced that Travis is slowly on the mend after being admitted to the emergency room of Baylor Medical Center at McKinney in critical condition on Sunday.

Dr. William Gray, director of cardiovascular services at the hospital, which lies just north of Dallas, confirmed in his statement what his rep previously revealed—that the 54-year-old crooner had been diagnosed with a viral cardiomyopathy, a disease that weakens the heart muscle and could be fatal if left untreated.

"He had been in previously excellent health until three weeks prior when he developed a viral upper respiratory illness. He was admitted at Baylor McKinney with a presumptive cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure," the physician said.

Gray and his team thankfully managed to stabilize Travis with the aid of what E! News previously reported was the placement of an Impella peripheral left ventricular assist device—though contrary to prior reports, he did not undergo heart surgery.

At that point, he was transferred to the The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano for a "higher level of specialized care" under the supervision of Dr. Michael Mack.

In a separate statement, Mack went on to explain that after the transfer, the Storms of Life singer has cautiously "shown signs of improvement."

Though he declined to divulge any more details about Travis' health, the doc promised more updates as his condition changes.

"On behalf of Mr. Travis' family, friends and associates, we would like to express our extreme gratitude for the overwhelming affection and support that Mr. Travis has received," added Mack.

Travis has made headlines the past two years for a series of alcohol-related arrests. In January, he pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated resulting from a bust last August when authorities found him naked in his vehicle after he ran off the road. Before that, February 2012, he was popped for Dallas for public intoxication after a police officer found him sitting in a parked car with a bottle of wine.  

  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share