John Travolta's latest film has gotten too hot for anyone to handle.
Production was suspended on the action thriller From Paris With Love after at least 10 cars that were to be used in the movie were torched over the weekend in the Les Bosquets neighborhood of Montfermeil, a Parisian suburb with a large immigrant population that was the site of mass youth rioting in 2005.
Cameras were supposed to start rolling on Monday.
A rep for producer Luc Besson's EuropaCorp SA denied that it has shut down filming in the area altogether, despite the French auteur's previous comment to the town mayor's office that they were abandoning the location for good.
"Maybe Mr. Besson said that in anger," spokeswoman Axelle Vuillermet told Bloomberg.com. "The filming is suspended in Montfermeil, not canceled.''
According to EuropaCorp, about 100 locals had been hired for the planned week of filming. No word was given on when the production, which is supposed to be shooting for 12 weeks in and around Paris, might return.
"It's a catastrophe, we're very sad," mayor's office spokesman Timm Rigal said. "It's regrettable he's dropping everything after the first misfortune. If you decide to do something here, you know what it takes. You know Montfermeil is not Club Med."
From Paris With Love stars Travolta as a U.S. spy conducting business in the French capital and Jonathan Rhys Meyers as an embassy employee who gets caught up in the game. Pierre Morel is directing.