Editor's Note: Senior fashion editor of Marie Claire magazine and E! News fashion contributor Zanna Roberts Rassi is blogging exclusively on E! Online about the current season of Project Runway All Stars, giving her reactions and spilling behind-the-scenes secrets.
Once again, it's time to make it work!
Project Runway All Stars returned for its third season tonight, bringing fan favorite designers back into the work room. The returning contestants? Ari South, Christopher Palu, Daniel Esquivel, Elena Slivnyak, Irina Shabayeva, Jeffrey Sebelia, Korto Momolu, Melissa Fleis, Mychael Knight, Seth Aaron Henderson and Viktor Luna. The judges? Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman and Isaac Mizrahi. The host? Mistresses star Alyssa Milano, who isn't the only new face joining the hit reality series...
This season, Marie Claire's senior fashion editor Zanna Roberts Rassi will serve as the designers' mentor, and she shared the ten lessons she learned during filming on the premiere exclusively with us.
1. Don't listen to the producers' every word: "Now Zanna, we know you're a nice person, but don't be overly nice to designers, if it's not deserved." Well, my dear producers, on seeing tonight's show, I clearly took that direction to heart!
2. Be quick to judge—but not that quick: What you don't see on camera is my full critique of Jeffery's look. I was quick to correct his "hodgepodge design with way too many elements." On seeing the runway look on tonight's episode, I take it back.
3. Hammer home the challenge to the designers: Was it just me or did the best theme on the planet—punk—get lost on these designers? Note to self, constantly remind them of the point of the challenge and don't allow them to get lost…As in any school exam—always reference the question, people!
4. Pack your lunch…and dinner: Reality TV takes a looong time to film. I was in Mood for about seven hours. And bring a coat…TV sets are COLD.
5. Emotions are real: The feelings expressed are real. There is no fakery here. Yes, Elena cries that often.
6. Don't try a new hairstyle for your maiden voyage: Yes, yes, I know. I got carried away with the punk theme and teased the old Barnet a little too much. I promise, it gets better from here on in!
7. Copy what Georgina Champman wears: I mean, how chic?!
8. Be prepared: To get hair and makeup ready behind 100 yards of toile in Mood (however, I must say it's an excellent position to listen to the designers chatter).
9. Isaac has a bite: And doesn't hold back when talking to designers or Alyssa.
10. Debbie Harry is still a LEGEND.
Aside from their obvious talent here are my initial thoughts on each designer:
1. Viktor: Needs to reign it in
2. Ari: Lost in her own world
3. Elena: A crier!
4. Irina: Quietly confident
5. Jeffery: Argumentative
6. Christopher : Sweet but a fierce competitor
7. Melissa: Slow perfectionist
8. Korto: Attitude, does not like me
9. Seth Aaron: A sweet talker
10. Mycheal: One trick pony, perhaps?
11. Daniel: Eager to please
What did you think of the season three premiere? Tweet your thoughts to Zanna by following her at @zannarassi.