Keith Urban

Jason Edwards/Newspix/Rex/REX

UPDATE: Prosecutors have dropped their case against Sean Murphy. According to reports, prosecutor Mary-Elizabeth Mack said at a Thursday hearing in Attleboro District Court that the case was dismissed after "extensive" conversations with the alleged victim, who agreed with the decision.

Murphy's lawyers maintained that his encounter with the 17-year-old woman the night of the concert was consensual, although they said he regrets the incident.

Murphy has no criminal record. After his case was publicized, 15 to 20 people came forward to recount what they saw happened.

Murphy and the girl, who did not know each other before the night of the concert, had both been drinking at the event, according to police. Several dozen people were arrested and treated for alcohol-related illnesses at the July 26 Keith Urban show. 


A Boston-area man named Sean Murphy has been arrested for allegedly raping a 17-year-old girl during a Keith Urban concert this past Saturday.

According to local reports, the alleged incident happen during Urban's July 26 show at the Xfinity Center in Mansfield, the same concert where several dozen people were arrested and treated for alcohol-related illnesses.

Murphy, 18, was among the more than 50 fans taken into custody that night. According to a police report, a witness approached officers during the concert after seeing the victim lying on a lawn and asking her if the sex was consensual. The teen reportedly said it wasn't.

Police then searched for the suspect around the venue before arresting him and charging him with rape.

Murphy told police it was consensual and "stressed that he did not force himself on her." Additionally, Murphy's lawyer, Neil P. Crowley, said in a statement Tuesday, "This was a consensual act, not a sexual assault. There are no allegations of force or violence put against him."

Other fans reportedly watched the alleged incident happening during the concert but did nothing to stop it. The case is currently under investigation by the Mansfield Police. 

(Originally published on July 31, 2014 at 2:00 p.m.)

  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share

We and our partners use cookies on this site to improve our service, perform analytics, personalize advertising, measure advertising performance, and remember website preferences. By using the site, you consent to these cookies. For more information on cookies including how to manage your consent visit our Cookie Policy.