by Rumi Neely | Wed., Apr. 10, 2013 3:30 PM
We're huge fans of Rumi Neely's effortlessly chic style, so we asked the Fashion Toast writer to share what she'll be wearing to Coachella this year. The first weekend of the music festival kicks off on Friday. Are you ready? Not sure if fringe is the way to go? Wondering what kind of footwear is best for trekking across the Indio, Calif., polo grounds? Read on for Rumi's concert outfit inspirations perfect for the Palm Springs-area event. And be sure to check back in the next few weeks to see more of Rumi's contributions!
Coachella has become such a style-focused event—purists complain about this more and more, but I think it's completely possible to see all your favorite bands and have time to put together a look you feel like yourself in. For me it's very much about comfort and light layering—I'm kind of traumatized by how cold it was last year at night! Shorts and boots are my go-tos, but I love tweaking the formula too. My staples include a small camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, a small cross-body bag and a tiny atomizer of Jurlique rosewater to freshen up with. I hope you guys enjoy the looks I put together!
1. Night Event: This look I would save for a day-to-evening type of event. The bag is just big enough to fit the essentials and the parka is perfect for that slight night chill. And I'm still obsessed with Isabel Marant's sneaker wedges, especially in perpetually wearable black suede. (Sunglasses, T-shirt, bracelet, skirt)
2. Festival Wear: This is super playful and comfortable; I think it would survive a full day at the festival pretty well. These boots are the most comfortable things ever and I love the hardware on this Friend of Mine bag. (Tank top, jacket, shorts, ring, sunglasses)
3. Partying Poolside: Shortalls over a bikini make for a versatile pool party look, and it could easily transition afterwards by switching out the triangle top for the silk bralette. A simple pair of woven sandals and bright pink sunglasses are playful and make the look pop.
4. When the Lights Go Out: Definitely more of an afterhours look—this would be as comfortable as it is pulled together. I've been unable to get this Thakoon Addition skirt off my mind for months now, the print and the scalloped edge are so well executed. I always like to slightly ruin a look so it isn't so obvious. The skirt and sandals are so pretty that they need a denim shirt to mess the whole thing up a bit. (Sunglasses, bag, tusk ring, cutout ring)
5. Road Tripping: The ideal mix of grungy and minimal—I would wear this on the drive to Palm Springs. It's all about the photo ops on the way out there—I'm picturing the dinosaurs in Cabazon for this one. The sleek tank makes the print of the skirt and details on the accessories really stand out! (Bra top, bag, bracelet, boots, sunglasses)
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our US edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Canadian edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our UK edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Australian edition?
Dieser Inhalt ist für internationale Besucher verfügbar. Möchtest du ihn in der deutschen Version anschauen?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our German edition?
Une version adaptée de ce contenu est disponible pour notre public international. Souhaitez-vous voir ça dans notre édition française ?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our French edition?