When we first saw this photo of Kerry Washington we genuinely thought she had shorn her tresses. Don't get us wrong – we loved it. We're huge Gatsby fans and the Scandal star can certainly pull off a short bob with her oval-shaped face and high cheekbones.
But, at closer inspection we saw that instead of actually cutting her hair, Washington's hairstylist had expertly pinned and tucked her hair into looking like an authentic bob.
Then we saw Amy Adams' attempt at a faux bob – there was not even a moment where we doubted the ‘faux' in this bob. It looks like our Lois Lane from Man of Steel flew to the event on Superman's arm and forgot to fix her hair before hitting the red carpet.
Get the Look: Clearly we're hoping Amy Adams reads this so she can mimic Kerry Washington's perfectly smoothed faux bob next time. To get Kerry's Gatsby-worthy ‘do:
1. Comb through a lightweight anti-frizz serum like John Frieda's Frizz-Ease Sheer Solution Lightweight Frizz Control and blow dry your hair smooth with a large-barrel brush
2. Gather your hair into a really low, loose ponytail and secure it with a hair elastic that matches your hair color
3. Next, start rolling your ponytail upwards, tucking it underneath towards the nape of your neck
4. Spread the hair around your head and ears as you roll and tuck to make sure the bob looks natural
5. As soon as the rolled ponytail reaches the nape of your neck, fasten tons of bobby pins underneath your hair to secure the faux bob
6. Take a tiny drop of the anti-frizz serum and warm between your hands. Pat down any frizz and grab any loose strands, tuck them under and pin
7. Spray hair with a non-sticky anti-humidity hairspray like Oribe Impermeable Anti-Humidity Spray
If you loved Kerry's smooth bob but you would rather try a curlier / wavier version – which happens to leave more margin for error – after you blow dry your hair, curly 1-2 inch sections with a medium barrel curling iron.
When your hair is completely curled, warm a few drops of serum in your hands and break up curls with your fingers. Then, follow steps 2-4. When your hair is completely tucked and pinned, pull out a few shorter strands around your face to complete the look.
Whether you opt for the polished version or a curly textured look, the faux bob is the perfect alternative to actually chopping your locks. Just make sure you blow your hair completely smooth and use the right products or you'll end up looking like our poor windswept Lois Lane.
If you're a beauty addict, Janna will be your enabler. Just an occasional user? She'll be your bad influence. Visit her blog at mybeautybinge.com and indulge!