Attention graduates, speakers, Facebook users or anyone who ever starts a sentence with "can I give you some advice?" It's time to band together and take a stand.
Stop using cliché inspirational quotes. Certain pieces of advice or nuggets of "wisdom" have officially been overused and they weren't even that great to begin with!
"But they are cliché for a reason! It's because they are all true!"
Stop. There are so many clever and inspiring ways to tell someone to follow their dreams or believe in love. Or you could, you know, just MIND YOUR DAMN BUSINESS.
Look, we're all for having a positive mental attitude. That's how the world should operate. We just want that attitude to manifest in quotes and advice that don't make other people roll their eyes so hard they roll their own heads off their necks. That's all.
So from this day forward, let's all just vow to never use these 21 cheesy quotes in yearbooks, speeches, wedding toasts, Etsy products, Pinterest boards and so on and so forth.
1. "It's not the number of breaths we take, but the number of moments that take our breath away."
Just let us count how many breaths we take in and out each day and leave us in peace.
2. "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Jokes on you, we don't make plans. We stay indoors watching Netflix.
3. "You're only as strong as the drinks you mix, the tables you dance on, and the friends you party with"
Also known as: the toast made at every single bachelorette party ever.
4. "Live for the nights you'll never remember with the friends you'll never forget"
Amnesia is not something to make light of, you guys.
5. "Live, laugh, love."
Petition to never hear this combination of three words ever again for the rest of humanity.
6. "You have to look through the rain to see the rainbow."
Or you can just look out the window.
7. "Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching."
If you ever say this to us we will make it our sole mission in life to always watch you when you dance.
8. "Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery and today is a gift. That's why we call it the present."
Fact: a day is not a gift when it falls on a Monday.
9. "Keep calm and carry on."
This saying has taken over the world and every single fanbase has their own version. We can't carry on anymore. We just can't.
10. "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
This is just scientifically inaccurate. The closest star is 93 million miles away. It's called the sun. Perhaps you've heard of it.
11. "You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince."
This is just outdated dating advice. At least change it up to something like: "You have to date a lot of douches before you find someone you'll want to share your HBO Go password with."
12. "Everything happens for a reason."
Thanks for basically saying I was supposed to go through this tragic situation. Yes, we understand the sentiment and the message, but please don't say this when someone's pain is still fresh. It usually doesn't help.
13. "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
If life gives us lemons, we're handing it right back because lemons are useless. Can life give us cash instead?
14. "You'll find love when you stop looking."
"Boo! Heeeeeere's love!" Stop.
15. "Live every day like it's your last."
Fair enough, but don't judge us if we just want to sit on the couch watching Chopped reruns all day.
16. "It takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile."
Yeah, but it takes zero muscles to stare blankly at you until you go away.
17. "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
This just seems like an irresponsible way to go through life. What if someone decides to blow all their life savings on a ridiculous car and a trip to Vegas and then they don't die today? Then how will they pay their mortgage?!
18. "Real eyes realize real lies."
That's a really s--tty thing to say to people with glass eyes.
19. "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
California is in a drought right now, so we'll do just about anything for more rain.
20. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
Don't you dare do math near us.
It's not really an inspirational quote, but that thing needs to be taken out back and shot anyway. Even though, yes, it is a correct statement.
What's a piece of cliché advice that you're sick of hearing? Do you have any words of wisdom you want to share with the class? Let us hear it in the comments below!