The assembled media held its breath, or at least attempted to suck in its gut, as something big was going down at Jay-Z's new Tribeca apartment on Friday.
The question was what exactly: A wedding? A housewarming? A Friday night Ghost Whisperer viewing party?
Here’s what E! News has learned so far:
• Around noon, dozens of white orchids, long white candles and candelabras arrived at Jay-Z's pad.
• At around 3 p.m., bakers in unmarked uniforms carried in a large white cake box that was a couple of feet wide and a couple of feet deep.
• Various family members were spotted, as well as former bandmates Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland.
• A chauffeur told a reporter there is "definitely a wedding" happening tonight, but would not confirm that the wedding was at 195 Hudson.
• A resident who lives on the second floor of the Tribeca apartment building said that Jay-Z moved into the building last week and that he was told there would be a large party on the roof tonight.
• We've just learned George Clooney was there to do Charlie Rose. Impeccable timing.