This morning, Lana Del Rey released the music video for "West Coast," the first single off her upcoming album Ultraviolence. The video is Lana, well, being Lana. It might just be her most Lana Del Rey-y video yet.
1. Everything is black-and-white. Very old school. Very Old Hollywood.
Very "Blue Jeans" music video, with a dash of the "National Anthem" intro.
2. Including black-and-white palm trees.
The song is called "West Coast." Of course there are palm trees.
3. Bits of home video.
They're not as home video-y as, say, "Video Games" (she's not filming herself with a Macbook anymore, people, she's famous), but more along the lines of "Summertime Sadness."
4. Of course there's the bad boy your mother would never approve of.
The same bad boy as "Born to Die" and "Blue Jeans." Welcome back!
5. AND a sugar daddy (à la "Ride," naturally)! She's doubling up here.
And no Lana video would be complete without:
6. Getting wet. See: "Blue Jeans."
7. Cat eye makeup. See: Lana Del Rey's entire videography.
8. Singing with her eyes closed. See: Lana Del Rey's entire career.
9. Close-ups on tattooed hands. Very "National Anthem."
10. The most glamorous smoking you've ever seen, à la "Born to Die."
11. Swaying. (And bonus: She's got her red dress on tonight.)
12. More swaying.
13. Even more swaying.
14. AND TWIRLING.
The only thing missing is her dropping it like it's hot in the pale moonlight.
Oh well, we guess she has to save something for the next music video.