BRAND NEW ON E!
Paul Reubens is going to fight his kiddie-porn charge.
The actor eternally linked to his Pee-wee Herman alter ego entered a not guilty plea Wednesday to a misdemeanor count of possessing child pornography.
Reubens, who wasn't required in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom for the arraignment, made the plea via his attorney, Blair Berk.
Berk said Reubens was planning on asking for the charge to be dismissed, telling Superior Court Commissioner Kristi Lousteau that the City Attorney didn't have the goods on Reubens. Berk also complained that the prosecution was stonewalling her, refusing to hand over any evidence against Reubens.
Reubens, who has been rebuilding his career since an embarrassing 1991 arrest at an adult theater in Florida, remains free on $20,000 bail. His next court hearing is January 3.
He faces a maximum sentence of one year in county jail and a $2,500 fine if convicted.
Reubens, 50, turned himself in a month ago, a year after authorities raided his home looking for child porn.
The entertainer was targeted after a minor came to police and accused Reubens of sexual misconduct, LAPD Captain Sharon Buck said last month. (Reubens has not been charged with any such crime.)
At Reubens' home, police carted off boxes containing the actor's erotic art collection, videos and personal computers, but, according to Berk, no child pornography. After the arrest, Berk issued a statement saying, "Mr. Reubens has never at any time knowingly possessed any artwork from his extensive vintage and antique art collection even remotely related to anything improper."
Last year, when the house was first searched, the lawyer told E! Online that Reubens was the victim of a financially motivated smear campaign.
The Reubens case was conducted in tandem with a child-pornography investigation against actor Jeffrey Jones.
Jones, best known as principal Ed Rooney in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, is facing a felony charge of "using a minor for prohibitive acts" and a misdemeanor count of possessing child pornography.
Authorities accuse Jones of hiring a 14-year-old boy to pose for sexually explicit photos.
The 55-year-old actor is out on $20,000 bond and is due in court for arraignment January 9.
If convicted, Jones faces up to three years in state prison and will have to register as a sex offender for life, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office.
Sandi Gibbons, the spokeswoman for the L.A. D.A., stressed that for both Jones and Reubens "the charges do not involve any sex act being performed or any video or film being taken."
Although part of the same investigation, the two cases are unrelated, authorities said.