Amy Winehouse is gone, but questions have still lingered over how she died as it turned out the person who was supposed to make that determination was unqualified.
Now a second inquest tasked with looking into the Grammy winner's July 23, 2011, death has definitively reaffirmed what the original investigation already found: The 27-year-old Winehouse died from accidental alcohol poisoning.
The new probe was conducted after it was revealed that the first coroner who ruled on the "Rehab" singer's cause of death, Suzanne Greenaway, did not have the proper qualifications for the job after being appointed to the role by her coroner husband, nor did she have the requisite five years' experience at the Law Society. She resigned in November 2011, prompting the second inquiry.
But in the end, it didn't matter.
The latest findings by another pathologist, Dr. Shirley Radcliffe, reach a similar conclusion that Winehouse died of "death by misadventure," which simply means her death was an accident.
According to CNN, Radcliffe noted in her verdict that the beehive-wearing songstress's blood-alchol level was 416 milligrams per 100 milliliters of blood—way above the 350 milligrams that's considered a lethal level (it's worth noting the legal limit to drive in Britain is 80 milligrams of alcohol).
The news is no surprise as Winehouse publicly battled an addiction to booze in the last years of her life and before her final binge had tried to abstain for three weeks.
"She had had a period of abstinence from alcohol for 12-13 days in July but a few days before her death she began to drink alcohol again," Radcliffe told the inquest.
Per the Guardian, Winehouse's personal physician, Dr. Christina Romete, also told the court in a statement that the musician had been taking Librium to help cope with the alcohol withdrawal, and, while she was concerned about her drinking, she didn't think the singer was in any way suicidal.
"She specifically said she did not want to die," Romete testified.
Alas, two empty vodka bottles were found on the floor near her bed where her body was found. The coroner also did not find any trace of pills in her system beyond the alcohol that killed her.
No doubt, the verdict is a sad epilogue in the story of a talented artist who left us too soon.