There weren't some big names and movies missing from the Screen Actors Guild Awards nominations. There were a lot of big names and movies missing.
A rundown of the biggest surprises—and omissions:
1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Comes Up Dry: OK, so the much-anticipated David Fincher take isn't up for Outstanding Motion Picture Ensemble, that's somewhat understandable—after all, there are only five slots available, as opposed to the potential 10 for the Oscars' Best Picture. But no Rooney Mara nomination? That's somewhat shocking, if not crippling to the film's—and Mara's—awards-season chances.
2. Kristen Wiig Gets Love—and Not: Bridesmaids did what The Hangover couldn't: It got taken seriously. Its ensemble nod, putting it alongside Oscar locks such as The Descendants, is important; Melissa McCarthy's supporting-actress nomination is well-deserved. But all of that makes Wiig's absence in the Motion Picture Female Lead Actor field all the more glaring. She was, after all, first among the 'maids.
3. Glenn Close Takes Out Everybody: OK, so the reason Mara, Wiig and, while we're at it, the Young Adult-buzzing Charlize Theron aren't up for Female Lead Actor is because Close used the second-oldest trick in the book to crack the very crowded and very tough category: in the heretofore low-profile Albert Nobbs, she plays a woman living as a man. In a way, then, Close's nomination isn't a shock—except that, owing to the Mara snub, above all, it is.
4. Ryan Gosling Is MIA: Last year, it was Leonardo DiCaprio who couldn't earn a single nomination despite campaigns for two films, Shutter Island and Inception. Today, it was Gosling, denied for both Drive and the fading The Ides of March.
5. Where Was [Insert Name of Presumed Oscar Contender Here]? Take your pick: Martin Scorsese's Hugo, Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock's Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Steven Spielberg's War Horse, Roman Polanski's Carnage and Matt Damon's We Bought a Zoo were all shut out. Considering how bullish the market has been for the Gary Oldman thriller Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, that film's goose egg may be the biggest of all.