The weddings were lavish; the marriages were brief.
Here are five other Hollywood couples whose storybook ceremonies had everything—save the secret to staying together for very long, much less forever:
1. Elizabeth Taylor and Nicky Hilton: The 18-year-old actress and moneyed hotel heir starred in the "wedding of the year," circa 1950. There were ice sculptures, lobster and hundreds and hundreds of guests, including Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Within months, Taylor was in court calling Hilton "indifferent" and "abusive."
2. Liza Minnelli and David Gest: The 2002 union of the showbiz legend and the producer was one for the books, and not just because it cost more than three times Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston's not-too shabby shindig. Michael Jackson and brother Tito Jackson were the best men. Elizabeth Taylor, Michael Douglas and Lauren Bacall were among the 1,500 invitees. Natalie Cole sang "Unforgettable." Sixteen months later, the couple was separated, and not amicably so.
Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images
3. Elizabeth Hurley and Arun Nayar: A day after exchanging vows in a quiet civil ceremony in 2007, the Austin Powers star and the businessman pulled out the stops for an Anglican service attended by Elton John, Kate Winslet and Kate Moss, set in an English castle and designed, in part, by Donatella Versace. After, the couple moved onto Nayar's native India for yet another ceremony. The union lasted approximately one year per ring exchange, with Hurley being linked to a cricket star in late 2010, and a separation announced shortly after.
4. Tori Spelling and Charlie Shanian: The 90210 bride's Great Gatsby-inspired affair in July 2004 featured 400 guests, food by Wolfgang Puck, music by Michael Feinstein and a supersized estate courtesy of her father, producer Aaron Spelling. The following summer, Spelling met actor Dean McDermott on a movie set, and that was that.
5. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills: Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and future Hurley guest Elton John were among the hundreds who watched the forever Beatle wed the former model at an Irish castle in 2002. The ceremony ended with fireworks, as did the marriage, which blew up (and got nasty) four years later.