In honor of Earth Day, I thought I would share some of my favorite eco-friendly tips. Some are small, some are big, but most importantly, a little difference goes a long way.
• Turn off your faucet when brushing your teeth.
• Forget bottled water, tap water is just as good! Pour it into a reusable water bottle and always have fresh water on the go, without wasting plastic.
• Ask where your meat and fish come from. Organic and free-range is a little bit more expensive, but if you can afford it, you will taste the difference.
• Buy local fruits and veggies at the grocery store. You will support local businesses and cut down on all the fuel that is used to truck produce around from state to state.
• "Walk your errands" instead of run them. I know this is hard for people who live in rural communities, but if you can, walk to the store. You will help the environment and get a little workout.
• Always ask for paper bags, or better yet, bring your own. Plastic bags are used once or twice then discarded. They usually end up in out water systems and oceans where they harm wildlife.
• Buy beauty products that don't have a lot of packaging, you are just going to throw it away when you get home.
• Last but not least, if you are in the market for a new car, check out a hybrid or electric. You'll save on gas and help the planet. My green dream car: the Tesla roadster. It's all electric and can go from 0-60mph in 3.6 seconds. Green and awesome!