Vinnie Zuffante/Jason Merritt/Getty Images
by Diana Marti | Mon., Aug. 15, 2016 11:33 AM
Vinnie Zuffante/Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Because legends never die, this singer's music lives on.
Selena Quintanilla was breaking glass ceilings and doing ground-breaking things when her fan club president killed her in 1995. The Mexican-American singer was only 23 years old. It's mindblowing to think of all that she had accomplished at such a young age. Aside from her charismatic personality and loving demeanour that touched so many fans, her talent was undeniable. That's why it shouldn't surprise us that her music is still on the charts and that many of the biggest names today have covered her tracks.
For many of these stars, they grew up on Selena's music and look up to her as an example of how to make your mark in both markets.
Disclaimer: We don't think anyone can top Selena, but we do love to see celebs cover the Corpus Christi singer's biggest hits.
1. Jennifer Lopez: We had to start off with this star because many of Selena's youngest fans were able to learn about her through J. Lo's interpretation. At the Billboard Latin Music Awards, the star performed with Selena's Los Dinos, and there might not have been a dry eye in the room. "The impact that she had on my life, on my career... It was a great thing for her to be my mentor. And it was a great thing to have her teach me so much about how to navigate this business, but also how to navigate through life," Lopez said on "The Today Show."
2. Jackie Cruz: Orange Is the New Black is not the only place where you can see this actress' talents shine, you can also find her on YouTube singing Selena's "Como La Flor."
"She's one of my biggest idols," the actress said to Billboard. "And her music still lives on. I picked that song because it just reminds me a lot of a relationship I had in the past and it's something I really connect to. The song is about losing a love and you're still happy for him even though he found happiness with someone else."
3. Kat Von D: The famous tattoo artist and entrepreneur honored the late singer with her cover of "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" and simply titled the video, "Selena Forever." We couldn't agree more.
4. Carlito Olivero: Before he went off to star in Hulu's East Los High, the star competed in X Factor and covered Selena's "Dreaming of You."
5. Adrienne Bailon: The Real star credits Selena as the reason she's in show business. The host and former Cheetah Girls member sang "I Could Fall in Love." The show also featured Selena's sister Suzette Quintanilla as they remembered the late singer on the 20th anniversary of her passing.
Bailon said that Selena is "the woman I consider my idol." She went on to say, "She single-handedly put Tejano music on the mainstream map and she's the reason I am who I am today."
6. Becky G: During a concert at the Texas State Fair, the singer paid tribute to Selena in their home state. She performed a medley of the Tejano Queen's biggest hits, and the crowd was loving it. Check out the "Shower" singer in her pre-teen days performing as Selena and sported an ensemble almost identical to the one the late singer wore for her last concert at the Houston Astrodome.
7. Selena Gomez: When Gomez covered Quintanilla's "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" it was all we ever wanted. The 24-year-old singer proudly says that her parent's named her after Quintanilla, and ironically both singers have so much in common since as they're both from the same state and have the same background.
"I grew up and I went to her grave, I got to go to her house," she said to Doug Lazy of Sacramento's NOW 100.5. "It was really crazy. And then when I started working, I remember I got to meet her family and I just got super emotional cause it's so crazy to see how far everything . . . I don't know, like where she'd be right now. It's nuts."
8: Keke Palmer: Recently, the Scream Queens actress sang a bit of Selena's "Amor Prohibido" during an interview, but we found a full cover of the song—it's impressive.
9. Solange: During her 2013-2014 U.S. tour, the singer covered Selena's "I Could Fall In Love," which is also one of Knowles' favorite songs.
"Anything for Selenas!"
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our US edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Canadian edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our UK edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Australian edition?
Dieser Inhalt ist für internationale Besucher verfügbar. Möchtest du ihn in der deutschen Version anschauen?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our German edition?
Une version adaptée de ce contenu est disponible pour notre public international. Souhaitez-vous voir ça dans notre édition française ?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our French edition?