by Leslie Gornstein | Tue., Jan. 1, 2013 10:03 AM
Now that the Mayan apocalypse is over, and it's 2013 and everything, what can we expect next?
—Troy, Delaware, via Twitter
Predicting the future? That's no problem, folks! It's pretty safe to say that the world is going to stick around, at least for another year. How's that for starters? Need more? Here we go.
Chris Jackson, Mark Large/Getty Images; FameFlynet Pictures; BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
1. That Royal Baby's Gonna Pop Out: Prince William and wifeKate Middleton haven't said exactly when Britain's future king or queen is due. However, when the couple announced their pregnancy in early December, they indicated that the Duchess of Cambridge wasn't yet out of her first trimester. So, while we're not likely looking at a spring baby, we are definitely looking at a 2013 baby. And all the fuss that goes along with that.
2. Next-Generation Video Games Will Arrive: Or, at least one will, courtesy of—if you believe the rumors—the Xbox people. Embedded touchscreens? Head-mounted displays? More streaming TV options than ever before? The rumors are already flying. Better start saving now; we hear that a new console (or two) should be coming by the 2013 holidays.
3. Brangelina's Getting Married: Well, we assume they are. No use announcing an intent to marry unless you're ready to go ahead and do it in the next year-ish. And when you're an obscenely rich couple likeBrad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, you can pretty much marry wherever, whenever, at whatever budget you want. No matter how these two say "I do," it's gonna be huge news in 2013.
Clint Brewer / Splash News
4. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Will Marry—or Break Up: Something is going down with those two in 2013, and you can bet it's going to more than a new haircut. Cyrus hasn't seemed to be in any hurry to get to the altar. In fact she's said she wants a "long engagement." That could just mean that she wants to do things right. Or it could mean that, at 20, she really isn't ready for a lifelong commitment. Time, and 2013, will tell.
5. R&B Will Make a Comeback: If 2012 was the year of dubstep and dance, next year will see a rise in R&B sounds, music insiders tell me. The Weeknd, Miguel, Solange...look for their influence to permeate mainstream sounds next year. You heard it here first!
What do you think is in store for 2013?