by Gabi Duncan | Wed., Jun. 29, 2016 7:00 PM
Can't we all just get along?
EJ Johnson finds himself in the middle of a feud on the latest episode of EJNYC after Sanaz Panahi and Kyle Bryan get heated and face off—and at a French-inspired function, no less!
Meanwhile, Elisa Johnson's best friend Maya McHenry reaches a major milestone with her boyfriend: meeting the mother. Unfortunately, the initial encounter doesn't go the way she hoped. Because these things usually never do.
And in the midst of all of his friends' drama, EJ takes steps to explore his gender identity and opens up about his sexuality.
Let's do the most and look back at the seven must-see moments, shall we?
1. Feel the Burn: EJ proves there's no better way to start the day than by breaking a sweat at an Afro-Fusion Burn class. But while he's dancing to the beat, his friend Drew Mac is busy doing his own damn thing.
"I'm not sure what Drew was doing," EJ says. "It wasn't very African dance. He was definitely taking it to the streets and, like, twerking in the corner. But I feel like he's always twerking in some corner. It's probably, like, the inner stripper in him just coming out all the time." LOL!
2. Bitch Stole My Look: When Kyle meets up with EJ for a day at the spa, he spills some fashion tea that he found online. "I was browsing the interwebs and I read this article," he says. "You and, like, Kim Kardashian, you're both wearing this really, really bomb, black lace LaQuan Smith situation, but it's the first time that a female celebrity is being compared outfit-wise to a male celebrity."
"It's about fashion," EJ replies. "Like, fashion knows no bounds. If you consider yourself, like, a fashion-forward man, you are incorporating women's wear. You're dabbling. Whether it's a coat or a denim, you're in there."
3. Mother (Not) Approved: Maya is super anxious for her mom to meet her musician boyfriend, Nick, for the very first time. Her nerves could have something to do with the fact he has a bunch of tattoos and piercings. Oh, and did we mention his stage name is Trassh?
As Maya anticipated, the introduction is anything but smooth sailing. "The last thing I would ever imagine her is with someone that looks like you," Maya's mom tells him. Ouch!
4. Therapy Session: EJ meets with therapist Dulcinea Pitagora to discuss his gender identity after hearing people speculate that he's going to transition like Caitlyn Jenner because he wears women's fashion.
"Sometimes it's hard being, like, in the middle, kind of in the gray area, in my own lane," EJ says. "People are so quick to say, 'Oh, just because you're dressing like that means that you're just going to transition and become a woman.' I thought about it, for sure. Like, do I want to transition? But I don't feel incomplete in that way. I don't feel the need to do that."
5. He Said, She Said: Sanaz finally learns Kyle was talking about her behind her back after her meltdown at the matchmaking mixer. And it's safe to say she's pissed. "I'm surprised because I thought we were friends," she says. "I want to confront him."
6. It Gets Better: EJ agrees to be featured in the online documentary series called It Got Better to share his story of coming out to his parents. "I think I was relieved after coming out, but I was also a little scared," he says. "I wasn't really sure how everyone else was going to take it and what my life was going to be like. I took it all in stride and I just made my life what I wanted it to be."
When asked what advice he would give to younger people struggling with their identity, EJ responds, "Live your life. Take it one day at a time. Kill it. Slay it. Work it. You know, do you. Yeah, that's what I want from everybody."
7. French Twist: Because he's such a good friend, EJ throws a cute "Marie Antoinette" slumber party for all his friends to lift Drew's spirits after his health scare. However, the festivities quickly go south when Sanaz expresses her annoyance with Kyle—without really saying why she's upset. "I just call out fake people," she says. "I know what's fake and I know what's real."
Kyle in turn gets frustrated with her "stinky" attitude and replies, "This is coming out of thin air and you're causing a damn scene in this beautiful hotel room, this beautiful party, for absolutely no reason. No one came for you! No one has an issue. If you have an issue, you need to speak on it."
But instead of speaking her mind, Sanaz just freezes him out. "I can't be friends with people that talk about me," she says. "The end."
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our US edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Canadian edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our UK edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Australian edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Asia edition?
Dieser Inhalt ist für internationale Besucher verfügbar. Möchtest du ihn in der deutschen Version anschauen?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our German edition?
Une version adaptée de ce contenu est disponible pour notre public international. Souhaitez-vous voir ça dans notre édition française ?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our French edition?