by Gabi Duncan | Tue., Oct. 6, 2015 7:45 AM
Lip fillers, tummy tucks and botox—oh my!
Whether they're going under the knife for a little nip and tuck or visiting the doctor's office for a quick facial injection, more and more people are shelling out hundreds of thousands of dollars on plastic surgery, and they aren't afraid to admit it!
According to data released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, plastic surgery and other minimally-invasive treatments are extremely common in a variety of demographics. In fact, cosmetic procedures as a whole are on the rise!
Before the return of Botched, read up on these interesting and somewhat shocking plastic surgery statistics!
1. Approximately 16 million cosmetic procedures were performed in 2014: That includes 1.7 million cosmetic surgical procedures, 13.9 million cosmetic minimally-invasive procedures and 5.8 million reconstructive procedures. It was an overall 3% increase from the previous year.
2. Americans spent $12.9 billion on cosmetic procedures: Talk about a booming industry! The Pacific Northwest holds the title for the most procedures performed—4.6 million, to be exact.
3. Females made up 92% of all cosmetic procedures: Women underwent 13.6 million procedures in 2014.
4. Breast augmentation was the top cosmetic surgical procedure: Breast augmentation, or breast implants, has been the most popular procedure in the U.S. since 2006. Silicone implants are used 77% of the time, while saline implants make up the other 23%. Nose reshaping, liposuction, eyelid surgery and facelifts rounded out the top five.
5. Botulinum toxin Type A led the list of minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures: 6.7 million people received Botox facial injections. Soft tissue fillers, chemical peels, laser hair removal and microdermabrasion also led the pack.
6. Caucasians had the most work done: White people accounted for 10.8 million procedures in 2014, a 3% increase from 2013. Hispanics came in second with 1.6 million, while African Americans and Asians followed with 1.3 million and 1 million procedures, respectively. Eyelid surgery was the most prevalent procedure with Whites and Asians, whereas tummy tucks were the most common with African Americans and Hispanics.
7. Nose reshaping is the most popular procedure with men: Over 200,000 rhinoplasty surgeries were performed on males in 2014. Men also commonly requested eyelid surgery, breast reduction, liposuction and facelifts.
8. Almost 25,000 women had a lip augmentation: Kylie Jenner isn't the only one. 24,894 females plumped up their lips in 2014, while just over 1,000 males underwent the same procedure.
9. Teenagers underwent 224,000 total cosmetic procedures in 2014: Teens make up the smallest percentage of all age groups when it comes to plastic surgery. The most commonly performed procedures are nose reshaping, male breast reduction, ear surgery, laser hair removal and laser skin resurfacing.
10. Women between the ages of 40-54 make up the majority of cosmetic procedures: 7.2 million cosmetic procedures were performed on middle-aged women in 2014—530,000 were surgical and 6.7 million were minimally-invasive.
Watch the midseason premiere of Botched tonight at 9 p.m., only on E!
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our US edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Canadian edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our UK edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Australian edition?
Dieser Inhalt ist für internationale Besucher verfügbar. Möchtest du ihn in der deutschen Version anschauen?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our German edition?
Une version adaptée de ce contenu est disponible pour notre public international. Souhaitez-vous voir ça dans notre édition française ?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our French edition?