Kanye West Released From the Hospital a Week After Being Admitted for Exhaustion

The Grammy-winning rapper was admitted to UCLA Medical Center on Monday

By Samantha Schnurr Nov 30, 2016 11:21 PMTags

Kanye West is on his way home following his hospitalization. 

E! News can confirm the rapper was released from the hospital a week after being admitted for exhaustion on Nov. 21. According to TMZ, the rapper is at home with his wife and kids.

Just hours after the surprise cancellation of the rest of his Saint Pablo Tour, E! News confirmed the Grammy-winning rapper voluntarily went to the UCLA Medical Center for evaluation after suffering from exhaustion and sleep deprivation. 

At the time, the rapper was with his personal trainer Harley Pasternak. The hospital visit was under the consultation of West's physician, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Kanye West's Most Outrageous Quotes
Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

After the doctor made the 911 call, the incident was deemed a "medical emergency" and the Fire Department responded to Pasternak's home Monday afternoon. In a recording of the Fire Department's dispatch call (obtained by TMZ), the encounter was referred to as a "psychiatric emergency."

Unconfirmed reports have claimed the rapper was handcuffed to a gurney. The handcuffing is standard protocol for an involuntary psychiatric hold, which is also referred to as a "5150." In such cases, patients are believed to potentially be a danger to themselves, others around them, and/or gravely disabled. 

By Tuesday afternoon, a source told E! News, "Kanye is doing better." The insider added that the rapper did not have a phone or computer with him per doctors' directions. As the source noted, West's "mental exhaustion" was taking a toll. "He almost quit a few times during tour, including right after the robbery."

Everything We Know About Kanye West's Hospitalization
Dave Spencer/Splash

His wife of two years, Kim Kardashian, was with West at the hospital Tuesday morning, the source said. The reality star had been in New York City Monday night to make her first public appearance at the Angel Ball charity function since being robbed at gunpoint in Paris in early October. 

However, upon West's hospitalization, the mother of two turned around and headed back to Los Angeles without making any such appearance. 

According to a second source, the star's mounting exhaustion is to blame on his "workaholic" personality. He has been working around the clock on fashion design, both on his own line and his adidas line. Balancing his projects and the demands of his tour every night has been a challenge for the star. 

Being on the road and away from his young children and wife—particularly after the traumatic robbery in Paris—has also been challenging. As the source noted, all the time spent away from his family has been a stress on West as he considers them the most important. 

Earlier this week, another source told E! News that the rapper was not being held "against his will" in the hospital. Rather, he wasn't quite ready to leave just yet.

"Kanye is the kind of person if he gets released and isn't mentally ready he will go back to his old ways and push himself over the limit again," the insider explained. "He needs to keep up with counseling even though he has an intense work schedule. He is just really drained and still weak. He isn't himself." X17 broke the news of Kanye's release.