This Friday marks the opening ceremonies for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio, and while we look forward to watching some of our nation's greatest athletes compete for the gold in various activities, we can't help but feel a little left out.
Sure, we can't swim laps like Michael Phelps or tumble like Gabby Douglas, but we'd argue that there are some activities you probably do during your every day life that deserve some recognition, maybe even a gold medal.
Blending your contour to perfection? That's difficult. Swiping through all of your Tinder prospects? That's time-consuming. Watching an entire series on Netflix in just a few weeks? That's some damn dedication.
So, in honor of what you and many of us probably do during our everyday lives, we've decided to compile a list of 10 activities that really should be Olympic events:
1. Live-Tweeting: Listen, it might be easy to just spew out your random thoughts in 140 characters or less, but have you ever tried live-tweeting a show? It ain't easy! Not only do you have to pay attention and predict what moments people will react to on social media, but you have to have your GIF game on point and have enough room to include the hashtag.
2. Binge-Watching: Do we really have to explain the need for this activity to be an Olympic event? Blood, sweat and tears go into binge-watching a show (well, hopefully not blood, but the other two are fair game), especially if you're attempting to conquer six season of Game of Thrones in two weeks. Yes, it can be done, and you know what? That type of accomplishment deserves a gold medal.
3. Pokémon Go: The latest pop culture craze has quickly taken over the world and now millions of people are searching all over their cities and beyond in order to catch 'em all, and although there is one man who already defeated the process, everyone is wondering who will be next.
4. Posting on Instagram: This multi-layered process is harder than many may assume. First, you have to get the right crop, because do you really want to Squaready that photo? No. Then, comes the two hard parts: filtering and captioning. Are you going for mysterious and brooding or light and cheerful? Are you going to bust out that quote or lyric you saved on your phone or are you going to be mysterious with a single emoji? There's an art to this.
5. Snapchat Face Swaps: Speaking of filters, face-swapping on Snapchat is an event everyone enjoys to participate in. Very few things are as hysterical and slightly terrifying as this pastime, but when you face swap with a friend and it almost looks legit, it's pure gold.
6. Creating Funny Memes: Love it or hate it (but you probably love it), memes are the center of the Internet. People have becoming successful entrepreneurs simply based on their creation of funny memes, because it takes skill to take an image that many may not even look twice at and pair it with a caption that is so relatable you can't help but tag a bunch of your friends and save it to your camera roll.
7. Tinder Swiping: To the left, to the left! How fast do you go through your Tinder selection? Are you someone who analyzes each photo and then intently their bio intently and then checks their age and location only to think about whether or not the numbers you see would become an issue in your relationship (that you totally made up in your head)? Or do you swipe so fast that you forget what you're even doing? How often do you keep pressing the "X" that you kick yourself for potential rejecting your soul mate? Again, this event takes precision and skill.
8. Contouring: How well can you blend? No matter how many YouTube tutorials you watch, trying to get your contouring on point can be a disaster. From figuring out whether you should use powder or liquid to getting the right shade and then trying to blend it all with your damp sponge without messing it all up—this makeup trend has become quite the feat.
9. Lip Syncing: Thanks to Spike TV's Lip Sync Battle, we have been wonderfully reminded of the entertaining sport that is lip syncing, and if you've ever watched the show, you know that a lot goes into giving the perfect performance of yourself (fake) singing your favorite hits. You gotta know the words, you have to show emotion, you need that wardrobe to be right and, if you really want to win, get in some choreography.
10. Putting On & Taking Off Spanx: Guys, you may not understand what a task this is. It makes taking off a sweaty sports bra seem like child's play. Putting on full-body spanks and then having to take it off is basically like trying to escape a suction blanket that has a bunch of different traps. And once you're free, you feel like you just took your first breath of air of years.
What else do you think should be considered an Olympic event? Sound off in the comments!