by Gabi Duncan | Sun., Jan. 17, 2016 8:00 PM
The season finale of The Royals had quite the explosive ending!
Prince Liam and Princess Eleanor finally learn Ted Pryce was behind their father's murder and they create a plan to give him exactly what he deserves. Meanwhile, Queen Helena cruelly punishes King Cyrus for attempting to kill her longtime love, Alistair Lacey. And far beyond the palace gates, there is a glimmer of hope for a long-lost family member who unexpectedly resurfaces!
Recap all the drama from the climactic episode with these 10 major moments!
1. Prince Liam watches the footage of his father's murder: After Jasper discovers the truth about King Simon's attacker, he immediately shares the information with Liam who is determined to see it for himself. "It's not easy to watch," Jasper warns him. But Liam doesn't care. "Show me," he demands. Jasper then leaves the room and secretly locks the door, so Liam doesn't do anything irrational afterward. When Liam watches the footage of Ted stabbing his father, he immediately breaks down in tears and bangs on the door for Jasper to let him out. "Open this door!" he yells. "Jasper, open the door and let me out! I trusted him! We all trusted him!"
2. Jeffrey Stewart uses Ted to plot his revenge: Now that Jeffrey knows it was the Grand Duchess who killed his sister all those years ago, he wants payback. He plans to get his revenge at the upcoming King's Cup football game in honor of King Simon. He tells Ted he wants to sabotage the video tribute with scandalous, hidden camera footage Ted covertly collected from the palace. It shows the Grand Duchess' confession, Queen Helena smoking a joint, King Cyrus snorting drugs and more! "They may not make it out alive," Jeffrey says happily. But his daughter, Dominique, overhears the whole plot and tips off Prince Liam. She also tells him Ted orchestrated Prince Robert's murder!
3. King Cyrus and Prudence tie the knot: With the arrival of the royal baby right around the corner, Cyrus and Prudence get married in a private ceremony in the palace. But it's not the love fest you would imagine. When Cyrus leans in to kiss his new bride, Prudence coldly turns away her head away—and the King is not amused. "Go ahead and turn away," he says icily. "But much worse things are going to happen to that mouth of yours, as you know." When she tells him she's leaving to pack her things, he forbids it. "Nope, you're staying here from now on. Whatever you need will be provided, so make yourself comfortable," he instructs. "And while you're at it, you might try spitting out the future King of England. You got what you wanted. Now hurry up and earn it!" he commands.
4. Prince Liam comes up with his own plan: Liam teams up with Princess Eleanor, Jasper and James Hill to devise a counterattack to thwart Jeffrey and Ted's plan. But before they can work out all the details, James also shows Queen Helena the video of King Simon's murder to update her on current events. Queen Helena then crashes their team meeting in the tunnels. They decide to override Domino's incriminating footage with the video of Ted murdering Simon. "Mr. Stewart wants to publicly humiliate us, create chaos and use it to his advantage," Helena says. "Fine. They want a public tribunal. Let's give them one." She then asks, "What are we doing about Ted Pryce?" Jasper responds, "We need to keep him close. But whoever does it will be in jeopardy. The man's a psychopath and he'll be armed." Liam volunteers to do the job, but Queen Helena vetoes him. "No, I'll do it," she says.
5. Prince Liam deviates from the plan: Even though they agreed that Queen Helena would monitor Ted during the King's Cup, Liam strays from the blueprint and meets Ted in the limo—armed with Jasper's gun. "Why'd you do it, Ted?" he asks. He then draws the gun and aims it at Ted. As Liam holds him at gunpoint, Ted receives a phone call and Liam lets him answer it. After several moments, Ted hands him the phone. It's Eleanor. She pleads with her brother and tries to convince him not to kill Ted. "I know you're in pain and I know you want revenge," she says. "But you don't want it like this." She continues, "Tell me you'll lead us all out of this. Okay?" Liam agrees and then hangs up. But as he lets his guard down, Ted grabs the gun from him and turns the tables. "You will find that taking a life is an unbearable weight. Every second, every minute, every hour, every day is a constant reminder of what you did and how you did it," he tells Liam. "You can't hide from it. You can't erase it. And you can't take it back."
He then hands Liam back the gun and shares Jeffrey's plan to embarrass the royal family in a few moments. "You're not the only one with a video," Liam informs him. Ted then asks him if he's thought about what will happen if they fail. "You should be more concerned with the alternative," Liam says. "What becomes of you if I don't and the world sees what you've done?" Liam also says he's ready to take accountability for his family's actions if they should happen to fail.
6. The entire football stadium watches King Simon's murder: As Liam walks onto the field to make his pre-match speech with Ted in tow, Princess Eleanor and Jasper hack into the control room to upload the video of King Simon's attack. Eleanor decides she wants to be the one to push the "play" button, but when the moment of truth arrives, she freezes and can't do it. Jasper saves her and presses the button instead. The entire stadium erupts in cheers when they see Simon on the big screen, but it quickly turns to shock and anger when they realize what's going on. Next, a mob of people start rushing the field to attack Ted. Liam runs back to his limo to avoid the riot as Ted succumbs to a brutal beating. Meanwhile, Jasper and Eleanor watch all the mayhem unfold from inside. As they stand there observing the chaos, Eleanor reaches out and grabs his hand.
7. King Cyrus welcomes a baby boy: Amidst all the anarchy, Cyrus' heir to the throne finally arrives. While the new father cradles his son, Rachel calls him over to the television to show him the news of the riot at the stadium, but he is barely concerned. "Announce the birth of my son," he tells her. "Maybe that will appease them. So, it was Pryce? Figures." He then walks back into the bedroom to return to the baby, but the little one is gone!
8. Queen Helena hoodwinks King Cyrus: After his son goes missing, Cyrus quickly runs through the palace to find Prudence and the baby. When he gets down to the tunnels, he finds Queen Helena instead. "Prudence is gone and so is her child," she updates him. She then tells him their marriage was a sham and her gynecologist was the one who performed the ceremony! "You can't just kidnap her!" Cyrus says. Helena responds, "I assure you, she went quite willingly. Also, Team Helena." Cyrus is completely bewildered. "Why would you do that?" he asks. "In the name of what?" Helena then gets really real. "Alistair Lacey," she says. "You take away my future. I take away yours." Boom!
9. Queen Helena demands Simon's bones: After royally humiliating Cyrus, Queen Helena visits King Simon's body and requests his bones to put Prince Liam in his proper place. "My son is the rightful heir to the throne and Simon's DNA will prove it," she says. "Get me those bones." Two men take sledgehammers to Simon's casket to break it open, but when Helena looks inside, she receives an unknown surprise.
10. Prince Robert is (probably) still alive: In probably the most unexpected surprise of the night, it was revealed that Prince Robert actually survived the "training accident" even though everyone believed him to be dead. The final scene shows a man washed up on the shore of a beach with a helmet next to him bearing the name "R. Henstridge." As he's lying there, he suddenly moves and clenches his fist!
Stay tuned for season three, Loyals!
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our US edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Canadian edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our UK edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Australian edition?
Dieser Inhalt ist für internationale Besucher verfügbar. Möchtest du ihn in der deutschen Version anschauen?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our German edition?
Une version adaptée de ce contenu est disponible pour notre public international. Souhaitez-vous voir ça dans notre édition française ?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our French edition?