On its face, Home Alone is a Christmas movie. It's heartwarming, it's funny, and it's filled with all sorts of adorable small-town holiday cheer that we're looking for this time of year. (Because no one actually has a skating rink in the town square these days).
But it's also a movie filled with some of the most quotable dialogue of the '90s. If you've seen Home Alone, it means you've actually watched at least a dozen times—there's no such thing as a one-time viewer with this flick. And as such, most fans can boast about a disturbingly vast knowledge of the McCallister family's classic lines. There's a use for Home Alone quotes in every part of life, whether you're leaving a tip at Starbucks ("Keep the change, ya filthy animal") or trying to house-train your dog ("Look what ya did ya little jerk").
The movie's most iconic quotes can also be a bit divisive, as most Home Alone fans are very opinionated about their favorite lines. But today, we're putting all the arguments to rest and providing the definitive ranking. What better opportunity to relive all the snarky magic than the film's 25th anniversary? Let's begin.
17. "This is my house, I have to defend it." — Kevin
There's no better battle cry than the words of a little boy about to unleash a deluge of booby traps onto unsuspecting burglars.
16. "Beat that, you little trout sniffer." — Buzz
Gather all of your irrational frustration and anger, because Buzz is officially an a--hole. If he said that to us after a fake apology, we'd go ape s--t on our family, too. On a further note, how naive are the McCallisters?
15. "Why the hell you dressed like a chicken?" — Marv
That is a totally fair question when addressed to someone who looks like this:
14. "I hope I never see any of you jerks again!" — Kevin
Oh, young McCallister boy, one must be very careful what one wishes for.
13. "I made my family disappear." — Kevin
See what we mean?
12. "Look what you did, you little jerk." — Uncle Frank
No one likes you, Uncle Frank.
11. "Buzz, I'm reading through all your private stuff, you better come out and pound me!" — Kevin
The best part of this quote isn't even spoken.
10. "Kevin, you're such a disease." — Jeff
Ladies and gentleman, your new favorite insult.
9. "KEVIN" — Mrs. McCallister
Great screaming, terrible timing.
8. "Has this toothbrush been approved by the American Dental Association?" — Kevin
An adorable quote and a helpful reminder to see your dentist.
7. "Buzz, your girlfriend...woof!" — Kevin
With four simple words, an entire generation was gifted the best catch phrase of all time.
6. "Keep the change, ya filthy animal." — Gangster Johnny
There hath never existed a more poetic gangster.
5. "You're what the French call les incompetents." — Linnie
Raise your hand if this inspired you to learn French. Anyone with your hand down, you're lying.
4. "Just...hung around." — Kevin
For years this has been our go-to answer for everything, whether we really did just hang around or whether we fended off a couple of burglars with an elaborate set of booby traps.
3. "Fuller, go easy on the Pepsi." — Leslie
We shudder to think of the bedtime repercussions of this sentence.
2. "I'm eating junk food and watching rubbish, you better come out and stop me!" — Kevin
Rubbish! Just...stop. Too cute.
1. "Ahhhhhh!" — Kevin
What better quote to earn the coveted Most Iconic award than one with a double meaning? The first "Ahhhhhh!" came as part of perhaps the most adorably Macauley Culkin scene; don't even get us started on how cute he is in that giant towel.
But we must also give praise to perhaps the best reaction to a shovel-wielding neighbor in all of cinema. Kevin McCallister out.
Tune into E! News at 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. for more on Home Alone—including some incredible first interviews with the cast!