Better Call Saul

Ben Leuner/AMC

Looks like Saul's line was ringing off the hook on Sunday night.

Better Call Saul, AMC's highly anticipated Breaking Bad prequel, premiered in a big way on Feb. 8. How big? It shattered a cable ratings record!

The series premiere, which re-introduced fans to shady lawyer Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) back when he was Jimmy McGill, brought in 6.9 million total viewers, with 4.4 million being in the all-important adults 18-49 demo. So yeah, business was a-boomin'!

While it didn't break the record for total viewers for a cable series' premiere (that honor belongs to The Closer), its demo rating is the highest-ever for a new show's debut. 

Even more impressive? We asked readers to weigh in on they felt about the prequel, created by Breaking Bad's Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould, and a whopping 93.5 percent of you voted "Loved it." (As for the other 6.5 percent of you? Not cool, not cool.)

And before Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead's midseason premiere brought in big ratings, too, garnering 15.6 million total viewers, 10.1 million in the key demo. The zombie hit improved upon its winter finale numbers (14.8 million viewers, 9.6 million in the demo).

"In a competitive environment that sometimes gets as much press as the shows themselves, it is gratifying to deliver programming that breaks through and reaches passionate audiences. For AMC, it starts with the creative talent we are so fortunate to be working with including, among many others – in the order of last night's unforgettable schedule – Robert Kirkman and Scott Gimple of The Walking Dead, Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould of Better Call Saul, and Chris Hardwick of Talking Dead,"  AMC president Charlie Collier, said in a statement. "We are supremely thankful for the talented people who call this network home, and for the fans who continue to make AMC a television destination unlike any other. Walking. Calling. Talking. Humbling."

Better Call Saul's two-night premiere continues tonight at 10 p.m. on AMC.

  • Share
  • Tweet

We and our partners use cookies on this site to improve our service, perform analytics, personalize advertising, measure advertising performance, and remember website preferences. By using the site, you consent to these cookies. For more information on cookies including how to manage your consent visit our Cookie Policy.