James Franco, Seth Rogen, The Interview

Columbia Pictures

UPDATE: A spokesperson for Sony has told E! News that the Crackle reports aren't accurate and that Sony is "still exploring distributing options."

For those still curious to see what The Interview is all about, there is hope!

After Sony Pictures pulled the plug on the film's theatrical release on Wednesday due to threats of some sort of major disruption at the hands of hackers, one of the studio's lawyers is assuring consumers that the movie will be available somehow, someway in the future.

"Sony has been fighting to get this picture distributed," Sony lawyer David Boises said Sunday morning on Meet the Press. "It will be distributed. How it's going to be distributed, I don't think anybody knows quite yet. But it's going to be distributed."

Reports have indicated that the movie will be shown online for free on Crackle, an online streaming service backed by Sony. The studio, however, has yet to confirm.

Earlier this weekend, the Facebook page for the Seth Rogen and James Franco comedy was deleted. The film's Twitter account is still active, even though all past tweets have been removed.

As some in Hollywood continue to express their disappointment at Sony for stopping the release of The Interview, President Barack Obama is sounding off on the studio's decision.

In an interview with CNN, the President said he wished Sony had consulted with him before making a final decision.

"I might have called the movie theater chains and distributors and asked them what that story was," he said on State of the Union. "We believe in the right of artistic expression and things that powers that be might not like." 

While the debate continues, some at Sony wish they had a little more help to fight back against the "state-sponsored criminal attack" they endured.

"If the NSA had invaded people's privacy like this, people would have been outraged," Boises said on Meet the Press. "North Korea does it, and couples it with physical threats, and people sort of sit back for three weeks while Sony fights this issue on its own."

The FBI, who has blamed the North Korean government for the attack, continues an active investigation.

(E! Online and Meet the Press are part of the NBCUniversal Family)  

(Originally published Dec. 21, 2014, at 5:49 p.m. PT)

We and our partners use cookies on this site to improve our service, perform analytics, personalize advertising, measure advertising performance, and remember website preferences. By using the site, you consent to these cookies. For more information on cookies including how to manage your consent visit our Cookie Policy.