Jamie McCarthy/WireImage for Charlotte Ronson
by Brandi Fowler | Tue., Apr. 8, 2014 8:00 AM
Jamie McCarthy/WireImage for Charlotte Ronson
Model and DJ Harley Viera-Newton is our new Fabulist guest editor for Coachella…and here's why we're excited.
When it comes to music knowledge and DJing in general, the noted fashionista has already gotten the stamp of approval from Dior Beauty and Jay-Z's music management label Roc Nation, who both signed her as their DJs (check out her site here).
In addition to those accolades, she's got killer style and a closet any girl would kill for—making her a natural choice for a go-to on all things music and fashion—key components when breaking down the happenings at Coachella.
Check out the 5 things to know about Harley Viera-Newton!
1. She's a Brit and an NYU Alum: Viera-Newton was born in London, but relocated to Los Angeles at the age of 12. She graduated recently from NYU's Gallatin School of Individualized Study after moving to New York at the age of 18 to study archaeology and anthropology, according to the UK Telegraph. "Moving to America was a massive change," she told the paper. "I remember being wowed at the fact that I had a locker at school just like in Saved by the Bell, at how good Lucky Charms were, and that I could swim in the ocean after school."
2. She started spinning in college: In addition to a notable modeling career with Next Models, which has included campaigns with DKNY and Uniqlo, the blonde bombshell is also known as one of New York's Top DJ's, and spins regularly at the city's hot spots, including Avenue, the Jane Hotel and Lit. She started deejaying the summer after her freshman year at NYU "as a way to pay bills through school," she told the the UK Telegraph.
That eventually led her to a regular club gig in 2008 at a spot that celebs like Lindsay Lohan and Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen used to frequent. As far as professional gigs, Dior Beauty has named her their House DJ and Beauty Ambassador, and Roc Nation signed her as a DJ while she was still an undergrad.
Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Burberry
3. Her family is big in fashion and music: Viera-Newton is the daughter of Columbia Records president Ashley Newton, who signed the Spice Girls, and Brazilian ex-Dior model Cristina Viera-Newton, who co-founded the Tom Binns Jewellry line. Also, her cousin is shoe designer Charlotte Olympia Dellal.
She gets her fashion inspiration from her family and the streets telling Vogue UK, "I get most inspired by random people I see on the streets all over the world, those who stay true to their own personal style and feel confident in their clothes always look amazing. And my mother! She does a thousand things at once and somehow makes it look effortless. I'm a huge vintage aficionado. My go-to uniform is vintage mini dresses with flats and sweaters, and I like to mix tailored British classics, like a great trench coat, with more LA summery pieces, like floral dresses."
4. She's been featured in a ton of fashion magazines: Further proving her fashionista cred, she's been featured in a slew of hot mags, including Elle, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, W, Elle, Glamour, The New York Times' T Magazine, and many more. In July 2012, she was Vogue UK's "Today I'm Wearing" star, where she gave readers a glimpse of the high end duds she rocked every day for a month. This year, she was named the new face of the ST Talent campaign by Supertrash and was also chosen as one of the brand's "true inspirations"—women who have impressed in their chosen field.
5. Her top five albums include the The Strokes and The Clash: She once named the five albums she thought were the best of all time, telling the Telegraph although it would be "impossible" to narrow them down, these five came to mind: The Clash - London Calling, Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky, The Strokes - Is This It , The Smiths - The Queen is Dead, The Shangri-Las - Leader of the Pack and Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory.
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our US edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Canadian edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our UK edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Australian edition?
Dieser Inhalt ist für internationale Besucher verfügbar. Möchtest du ihn in der deutschen Version anschauen?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our German edition?
Une version adaptée de ce contenu est disponible pour notre public international. Souhaitez-vous voir ça dans notre édition française ?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our French edition?