by Alyssa Toomey | Thu., Mar. 13, 2014 10:41 AM
Amy Roloff and her husband, Matt, are the latest reality stars to call it quits, announcing their decision to separate after 26 years of marriage.
"Though we have weathered many storms together, we recently made the tough decision to engage in a trial separation," the Little People, Big World stars in a statement sent to E! News from TLC. "Matt remains living on the farm in our guest house and we work together every day on the farm, on our business endeavors and most importantly, raising our amazing children."
The Roloffs added, "We sincerely appreciate the unwavering support, understanding and prayers from our family, friends and many fans. May God bless you."
While their separation certainly came as a surprise to many fans who have watched the beloved couple for years on TLC (the show first aired in 2006), they certainly aren't the first reality couple to send shock waves through the Internet by calling it quits. Here are 8 of the most shocking reality couple splits:
1. Jon and Kate Gosselin: Although the Gosselins' split may not have been a surprise to many, the bitter back and forth which is still going on between these two is almost more shocking than their actual divorce. The parents of eight children and former stars of the reality show Jon and Kate Plus Eight publicly announced their decision to separate the same day they filed for divorce. "Over the course of this weekend, Jon's activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children," Kate said in a statement at the time. "While there are reasons why it was appropriate and necessary for me to initiate this proceeding, I do not wish to discuss those reasons at this time, in the hope that all issues will be resolved amicably between Jon and myself. As always, my first priority remains our children." Flash-forward to today and it's safe to say their issues have not been resolved in an amicable manner. "Everyone thinks I'm out to get Kate. I don't give a f--k!" Jon told Philadelphia Magazine in December. "What would I get out of it? Everyone knows she's an a--hole, you know what I mean? I don't have to—she's proven that!"
2. Porsha Williams and Kordell Stewart: While a Real Housewives split is certainly nothing new, it was unprecedented when Real Housewives of Atlanta star Porsha Williams claimed she found out about her former husband's divorce filing via Twitter. "I literally was lying in bed and I looked at Twitter and it was going crazy," Williams told ABC News. "I saw on Twitter that my husband has filed for divorce." The reality duo finalized their divorce in December 2013 and Porsha has reportedly moved on from the former Pittsburgh Steeler. She currently stars on the sixth season of the Real Housewives of Atlanta and is dishing loads of post-divorce drama. (Unrelated note: Remember earlier last season when she thought the underground railroad was a real train?!)
3. Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey: These two stole our hearts when they chronicled their marriage on the MTV reality show Newlyweds, which aired from 2003 to 2005 after the former lovebirds tied the knot in a lavish ceremony in Austin, Texas. However, their seemingly blissful marriage came to an abrupt end in November 2005 when the pair announced their decision to separate. The pair finalized their divorce within one year, and Lachey later seemingly chronicled his feelings towards their split in his hit single "What's Left of Me." The music video starred Vanessa Minnillo, who later went on to become his wife, while Simpson is currently engaged to Eric Johnson, the father of her two children.
Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
4. Bethenny Frankel and Jason Hoppy: After becoming one of the most beloved Real Housewives of New York, Bethenny was given her own spinoff series titled Bethenny Getting Married (and later Bethenny Ever After) which chronicled her engagement and first year of marriage to Jason Hoppy as well as her foray into motherhood after giving birth to daughter Bryn. Sadly, the twosome's fairy-tale life didn't have a happy ending, as Frankel filed for divorce in early January 2013 after announcing the pair's separation just before Christmas 2012. "I kind of sway between being frayed and stressed and on the brink in some ways; wracked with nerves, and then feeling OK and certain. This is my life now," Frankel said in May of last year, opening up for the first time about her failed marriage. Hoppy has since been spotted still wearing his wedding ring, 14 months after the former couple's split.
Nancy Kaszerman/ZUMA Press
5. Hulk Hogan and Linda Bollea: At one time, these two seemed happier than ever on the VH1 reality show Hogan Knows Best, which aired from 2005 to 2007. But it seems that there was much more going on behind the cameras, as Linda filed for divorce in 2007, announcing that she pulled the plug on their 24-year union because the former wrestler had an affair with their daughter's former BFF. The two reached a settlement in 2009, pinning down an agreement over assets worth around $30. The St. Petersburg Times reported that Hogan's former wife received a little more than 70 percent of the couple's liquid assets, along with 40 percent ownership in his various companies.
6. Adrienne Maloof and Paul Nassif: Did Brandi Glanville really break these two up? Those were the accusations cast on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills after Adrienne Maloof and former husband Paul Nassif endured a difficult third season on the hit reality show. Maloof decided not to return for a fourth season and she opted out of the season-three reunion in the wake of her 2012 split after 10 years of marriage. "This is a new beginning for each of us," the former couple said in a joint statement in August 2013 after reaching a divorce settlement. "Our goal is for our children to have stable and nurturing relationships with both of us so we can all find as much happiness as possible. We appreciate the good wishes we continue to receive from our supporters around the world." Maloof has since moved on with 24-year-old Jacob Busch and the two are "very close" to getting engaged, while Nassif is reportedly dating former beauty queen Helen Salas.
7. Jake Pavelka and Vienna Girardi: While a Bachelor breakup certainly isn't surprising (much like a Real Housewives split), the pair's explosive sit-down with Chris Harrison made for epic TV after the twosome called off their engagement in June 2010. Girardi claimed Pavelka "never acknowledged" her when he was on Dancing With the Stars, while Pavelka countered that she was "excited" because he "put her on TV." The blond beauty also defended her decision to sell news of their split to Star, calling Pavelka a "fame whore," while Pavelka admitted to withholding sex from Girardi and referred to her as "a tabloid" because "you only get 40 percent of the truth." Needless to say, things got ugly and another Bachelor split (make that No. 13!) went down in the history books. On the bright side, at least Juan Pablo Galavis takes the cake when it comes to painful interviews.
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
8. Sam Poueu and Stephanie Anderson: America fell in love with the Biggest Loser stars, who thought they found their happy ending on the hit reality show in 2010 after losing a total of 241 pounds together. Poueu popped the question on The Biggest Loser: Where Are They Now? that same year and the season-nine costars wed in April 2012. They announced their separation just over one year later and the breakup was heartbreaking, as the two announced in January that they were expecting their first child together. "It is with great sadness that my marriage to Sam Poueu is ending," Anderson said in a statement. "Thank you in advance for respecting our privacy during this difficult time."
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our US edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Canadian edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our UK edition?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our Australian edition?
Dieser Inhalt ist für internationale Besucher verfügbar. Möchtest du ihn in der deutschen Version anschauen?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our German edition?
Une version adaptée de ce contenu est disponible pour notre public international. Souhaitez-vous voir ça dans notre édition française ?
This content is available customized for our international audience. Would you like to view this in our French edition?