by John Boone | Mon., Feb. 10, 2014 11:55 AM
Bye, Flappy Bird! Don't let the pipe hit you in the ass on the way out!
The iPhone game—which dethroned Candy Crush as both the No. 1 free app and the most frustratingly addictive game EVER—has officially been removed from the app store, as of yesterday at noon.
Vietnam-based developer Nguyen Ha Dong, 29, broke the news on Twitter:
I am sorry 'Flappy Bird' users, 22 hours from now, I will take 'Flappy Bird' down. I cannot take this anymore.? Dong Nguyen (@dongatory) February 8, 2014
I can call 'Flappy Bird' is a success of mine. But it also ruins my simple life. So now I hate it.? Dong Nguyen (@dongatory) February 8, 2014
Flappy Bird has reportedly earning some $50K per day in ad revenue (according to The Verge) and, strangely, right before it was removed an update was released (boasting "new birds" and "bug" fixes.) Now, Flappy Bird's existence has even been removed from Ha Dong's website.
If you already have Flappy Bird downloaded on your phone, you can still play. But maybe it's time we all just deleted the app and let it die in peace—the peace that it was never kind enough to give us.
Here are seven reasons we are not sad to see Flappy Bird go:
1. Because Sometimes You Just Die: That's how hard this game is.
How do you die before you even start playing. Score: 0? How is that fair?!
2. Because Sometimes You Die Hitting the First Pipe: Which is basically the same as dying before you even started playing. Yeah, you just start over and can try again, but dang, can't we at least GET TWO POINTS before dying? This is not good for our self-confidence.
3. Because Sometimes You Die and Are Positive You Didn't Hit a Pipe: OK, maybe we really are just bad at Flappy Bird, but we swear sometimes the game would say we hit a pipe that we SO CLEARLY did not.
We're calling Flappy Bird conspiracy theory on this one. #grassyknoll
4. Because We're Pretty Sure the Pipes Are Too Close Together: We're willing to concede that we hit a lot of pipes, but sometimes we'll be tapping through and no matter how hard or soft we tap, we hit a pipe. What the F--K are we supposed to do there?!
5. Because Sometimes a GIANT AD Blocks Your View of the Pipes: Get outta here, capitalism.
6. Because Eventually You're Going to Look at the Scoreboard and See That Your High Score Is 3:
...and one of your friends has 82. WTF HOW?!
7. Because This Game Is F--king Impossible:
This game is impossible, it's impossible to win, it's impossible not to become FURIOUS when you lose and if you've figured out a way to win at Flappy Bird, you're either a wizard or you're cheating.
Hate you. Hate Flappy Bird. Hate iPhones all together. UGH.