Nicholas Brooks, Sylvie Cachay


A verdict has been reached in the shocking Soho House death of fashion designer Sylvie Cachay.

Ex-boyfriend Nicholas Brooks was found guilty of murder today and will face a judge for sentencing on August 26. He faces up to 25 years to life in prison.

According to reports, Brooks' sister Amanda was the only family member of his present in court. Other family members waited nearby the Manhattan Supreme Court courtroom while the jury deliberated for three days.

In January 2011, Brooks pleaded not guilty to one count of second-degree murder.

Brooks was had been arrested on attempted murder and strangulation charges in Dec. 2010.

The New York City Medical Examiner had ruled Cachay's death a homicide a month prior to the arrest, stating that she had been strangled and drowned.

Her body was discovered in an overflowing bathtub after guests in the room below hers at the exclusive hotel reported a leak. There were marks on Cachay's neck, according to investigators, as well as pills nearby, but the coroner ruled the death a homicide before toxicology reports were revealed.

Brooks' attorney, Jeffrey Hoffman, requested to obtain a second opinion stemming from the coroner's findings.

"Whatever [the medical examiner's report] says is subject to testing by other professionals," Hoffman said at the time. "We'll reach whatever conclusions after we can see for ourselves."

Cachay's family has said that she and Brooks were broken up at the time of her death, but they appeared to be staying at the hotel together. Witnesses have said that they saw Brooks leaving and returning more than once on Dec. 9, the night in question.

Brooks' attorney, Jeffrey C. Hoffman, said last week that his client told him he was out having drinks before returning to find police in their room, and that when he left Cachay, she was "absolutely fine."

Brooks' father was Joseph Brooks, an Oscar-winning composer who wrote hits like "You Light Up My Life." Joseph was indicted on rape charges in 2009 but committed suicide in 2011 before he could be brought to trial.

  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share