Amanda Bynes Pleads Not Guilty to Driving With Suspended License

Beleaguered starlet's lawyer enters plea on her behalf in court; hearing set for next month

By Natalie Finn Oct 15, 2012 10:39 PMTags
Amanda Bynes Splash News

Amanda Bynes isn't going down without a fight. Or at least a deal.

The What a Girl Wants star, who has been living in New York for the past few weeks, pleaded not guilty today to two counts of driving with a suspended license. Her lawyer was able to appear on her behalf in Burbank, Calif., because the charges are misdemeanors.

A pretrial hearing was scheduled for Nov. 29, but it's likely a plea bargain is in the works, especially considering Bynes is also facing DUI and hit-and-run charges brought by the L.A. City Attorney's Office.

She has pleaded not guilty to the DUI charge stemming from her April 6 arrest after clipping a police cruiser in her BMW and has vehemently denied via Twitter that she drinks at all, much less drinks and then gets behind the wheel.

The court piled on with misdemeanor hit-and-run charges stemming from ding-and-alleged-dashes in April and August, to which she has also pleaded not guilty.

E! News later learned that her license suspension didn't directly correlate to these particular bits of driving drama. Instead, the California Department of Motor Vehicles pulled her license after she racked up a number of other unpaid traffic tickets.

Bynes was cited twice on Sept. 16 near Bop Hope Airport in Burbank for driving with a suspended license, the second stop resulting in her car being impounded.

Bynes, who insisted last month that she was doing "amazing" and was headed to New York to focus on a career in fashion, sure enough took off for the Big Apple. Where, mercifully, she's been traversing the city on foot and by cab.

UPDATE: A hearing on the hit-and-run charges in Van Nuys has been rescheduled for Nov. 27, and Bynes must turn herself in within 48 hours beforehand for booking. Otherwise, she's not expected back in L.A. anytime soon, a source tells E! News.

—Reporting by Claudia Rosenbaum