Justin Bieber "Stolen" Laptop a Hoax! Singer Releases Nicki Minaj Music Video, Thanks Alleged Thief

Singer's distressing week revealed to be a prank, as allegedly hacked footage was all a PR stunt

By Gina Serpe Oct 12, 2012 5:00 PMTags
Justin Bieber, Twitterinstagr.am

Justin Bieber may have taken his role on Punk'd a little too seriously.

After two days of Belieber handwringing, anonymous Twitter threats from an alleged backstage thief and the purported surfacing of a nude picture, the video everyone has been waiting for is out.

And it was all just one big PR stunt. Make that, one big ridiculously well-executed PR stunt.

As promised, the Bieber video was indeed released at noon today (ET) though instead of personal and presumptively prurient footage of the teen dream, the footage was nothing more than "Beauty and a Beat," his new music video with Nicki Minaj.

Color us disappointed.

"@justinbieber u have dealt with a lot of rumors for a very long time, as a kid. with the whole world watching. u ready for more?" tweeted the supposed threatmaker and video thief @gexwy, just before the big reveal.

"HERE IT IS," came the followup tweet linking to the video. "I told you I would post something WORTH watching and talking about."

And just in case there was any lingering doubt as to whether or not the build-up letdown was indeed a hoax, look no further than Bieber's tweet thanking the supposedly hacker.

So, why all the fuss? It's not like a Bieber-Minaj video premiere wouldn't get plenty of press anyway, right? Well, Biebs explained that, too:

"Since I was 14 i have had a lot of things said about me, from dying, to taking hormones, to dying again, to stuff about my family," he tweeted. "To saying i had a baby with a woman i never even met. nude pics, drugs, my family, my character...but today...today i get to be in on it."

As for what backlash may come tomorrow for making false theft accusations, well, time will tell.

Update: Bieber's rep said that a laptop did indeed go missing and E! News confirmed that a report was filed with Tacoma police on Thursday.