Let's all pause for a moment of silence for the tragic, unsung victim of last night's Oscars: Angelina Jolie's left leg.
Now that that's out of the way, let's get down to the business at hand—crowning Angelina Jolie's right leg as the undeniable breakout star of the telecast.
Having already spawned a Twitter feed and parodies of both the instant (The Descendants' winning writing team) and non-instant (Al Roker and Ann Curry's pose-off) varieties, it was inevitable that the lithesome limb would become an Internet phenomenon unto itself. We just weren't expecting it to take hold quite so quickly, as the pervasive meme has already resulted in Jolie's right leg bravely riding tanks through Tiananmen Square, crossing the Delaware and even
photobombing legbombing the Oscar stage.
Forget Tebowing, we have officially entered the age of Jolieing. Herewith, the five best of the ever growing bunch…
1. Moon Landing: Boldly going where no man has gone before—Brad Pitt excepted, of course. Here, Angie's leg scene-steals a moment in history, joining Neil Armstrong during his moon landing. That's one small step for man, one giant leap for memekind.
2. Statue of Liberty: Who knew Lady Liberty could have so much va-va-voom? Possibly the most expertly executed of the Photoshopped bunch, if we didn't know any better, we'd say this was the original shot and Angie's Oscar pose was the fake. Life, liberty and the pursuit of photo manips: God bless America, indeed.
3. Double Your Pleasure: Two are better than one, right? When it comes to Angelina Jolie's right leg, you bet. And that's obviously the thinking behind this inspired, if slightly squat-tastic, double-legged shot. Compliments to the Photoshop chef who cooked up this virtual visual treat.
4. Jason Segel Is Not Amused: There's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time…with the right facial expression and hand placement. And Segel pulled it all off with (albeit unwitting) aplomb, making him the perfect incredulous star (and perhaps only red-blooded male?) to find himself unimpressed to be holding Jolie's gam.
5. Last Supper: This one gets kudos for sheer audacity of subject matter. Angelina's right leg gatecrashing the Last Supper? Makes sense to us. (Almost as much sense as legbombing Whistler's Mother.) We're not sure which day it was that God created that limb, but consider that day of rest well and truly earned.
Did we leave off your favorite? Miss a fantastic manip? Let us know in the comments!