UPDATE: Alley is apparently none too pleased with our report. In the comments section below, she posted this response.
Kirstie: "1st Josh, could you have found an uglier shot of me? 2nd When U wrote "for the record,Polanski copped to unlawful intercourse with a minor (as opposed to rape)..." did u mean we should think that it's LESSER than RAPE? sorta like asking Jeffrey Daumer if he MURDERED his victims or was just trying to make ZOMBIES out of them as he "copped" to doing..let's see..43 year old Director Roman Polanski put his ***** in a 13 year old girls ****** and then her ANUS after he gave her drugs and alcohol, while she was telling him to STOP..hmmm that's a tough one.."as (opposed to rape).." Have we really gotten so STUPID and TWISTED that we care what the CRIMINAL says he was doing? and do we REALLY think a 45 day stay in jail makes up for RAPING a child? Polanski was afraid he wouldn't get a FAIR TRIAL? hmmm ISN'T THAT WHAT ALL CRIMINALS SAY? I'm going to go bang my head on the floor..makes more sense than defending a RAPIST."
And she couldn't help tweeting her displeasure with the writer.
"Mr. Josh is just another little snippy bitch who wouldn't talk against RP because he might lose his snippy bitch job..lol."
[Editor's note: Mr. Josh replies, "For the record, you look fab, Kirstie! Enjoy the workout! LOL!"]
Read the original story after the jump...
FROM: Kirstie Alley
TO: The World
RE: Sure Roman Polanski's a great director who won an Oscar, but that doesn't excuse what he did.
"JUST FOR THE RECORD....RAPE IS RAPE...this is one HOLLYWOOD STAR who does not CELEBRATE or DEFEND Roman Polanski..his ART did not RAPE her," she proclaimed via Twitter.
And she didn't stop there...
Alley took issue with the likes of Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, David Lynch and Jonathan Demme, who signed a petition expressing outrage and demanding Swiss authorities release the Chinatown helmer. Among the signatories' complaints? He was taken into custody in a neutral country just before he was due to receive lifetime honors at a film festival.
Let Kirstie's Twitter rants stand as a corrective:
- "THERE is NO SUCH THING AS CONSENSUAL SEX with a 13 year old girl..it is RAPE and Polanski is a Coward. HE made 2 bad choices RAPE and FLEE."
- "GOOD MORNING FIRE ANTS..FIGHT FOR WHAT U BELIEVE IN..stand up for CHILDREN and their security..can't agree with people who CONDONE RAPE."
- "Now HERE is a MOVIE.a Director who is still revered and defended after RAPING a 13 year old girl.who still is awarded Movies highest honors."
- "And what makes ANYONE think this was his ONLY offense? Pediphiles [sic] NEVER strike once..may ONLY be CAUGHT once..guarantee not 1st offense."
- "You can always tell when you have pediphiles on line..they covertly defend the perpetrators..YOU are not unseen and you are NOT forgiven."
- "We are NOT in the barter business of trading BRILLIANT movies in exchange for heinous crimes against children..NOT the point. NOT HOLLYWOOD."
Alley also expressed her support for The View's Sherri Shepherd, who's also been taking the fugitive artist to task on her own Twitter feed as well as the daytime chatfest.
For the record, Polanski copped to unlawful intercourse with a minor (as opposed to rape) and then fled the U.S. when he felt the judge was going to rescind the plea deal.
Polanski's legal team is seeking his release from a Zurich jail and to block any extradition requests to the United States. He's expected to remain in lockup for at least several weeks while a Swiss Criminal Court considers the matter.
(Originally published Sept. 30, 2009, at 10:12 a.m. PT)
See other famous folks who have fallen on the wrong side of the law in our Mug-Shot Mania gallery.