Drake Breaks Silence About "Devastating Tragedy" After Performing at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival

Drake said his "heart is broken" in a message shared to social media to address the tragedy at Travis Scott's Astroworld music festival, which left eight people dead.

By Ryan Gajewski Nov 09, 2021 5:26 AMTags
Watch: Kylie Jenner Breaks Her Silence on Astroworld Festival Tragedy

Drake is addressing the tragedy that occurred at the Astroworld music festival.

The rapper, who made a surprise onstage appearance at Travis Scott's Houston show on Friday, Nov. 5, took to Instagram on Monday, Nov. 8 to express his condolences. The concert left eight people dead and 25 others hospitalized, police previously confirmed.

"I've spent the past few days trying to wrap my mind around this devastating tragedy," Drake said in his post. "I hate resorting to this platform to express an emotion as delicate as grief but this is where I find myself."

He continued, "My heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for anyone who is suffering. I will continue to pray for all of them, and will be of service in any way I can. May God be with you all."

More than a dozen concertgoers have filed lawsuits against Travis, as well as the event's organizers. One concertgoer, Kristian Paredes, named Drake in a lawsuit that was also named Travis, Live Nation and Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation, citing negligence. 

photos
Drake's Son Adonis' Cutest Photos

Per the lawsuit obtained by E! News, Drake allegedly "came on stage alongside Travis Scott and helped incite the crowd," and "the crowd became chaotic and a stampede began leaving eight dead and dozens including Kristian Paredes severely injured."

A spokesperson for Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation and venue NRG Park shared a statement to E! News that read, "Because of pending litigation and ongoing investigations, we are unable to comment." 

RMV/Shutterstock

Live Nation did not respond to E! News' previous request for comment. E! News also previously reached out to Travis and Drake.

A day after the Astroworld show, Travis said in a statement posted to Twitter that he was "absolutely devastated by what took place last night."

Houston Fire Department's public information officer Asuncion Cortez said in a statement released to E! News, "During the festivities up until the end of the festival, approximately 300 people were treated on site for minor injuries." 

Referring to the tragedy as a "mass casualty incident," he added, "Seventeen patients were transported to area hospitals, 12 of those patients were transported by HFD units."

According to authorities, 11 of those patients were in cardiac arrest. The case is still being investigated.

Watch Daily Pop weekdays at 11 a.m., only on E!.