Joel Kinnaman Under Investigation for Alleged Rape After Being Granted Restraining Order From Model

Suicide Squad star Joel Kinnaman was previously granted a temporary restraining order against a Swedish model after accusing her of extortion.

By Mike Vulpo Aug 11, 2021 6:51 PMTags

Joel Kinnaman has found himself involved in an investigation overseas.

A spokesperson for the Swedish Prosecution Authority confirmed to E! News on Wednesday, Aug. 11 that the Suicide Squad star has been accused in an ongoing investigation concerning alleged rape.

According to the spokesperson, "The prosecutor got the case today and has hardly been able to look at it. She has said there is a need for further investigative matters before she can make a decision."

The prosecutor has not said what their plan is for further investigation, per the spokesperson, but that it is normal to interview the alleged perpetrator. The spokesperson believes that the alleged victim is Bella Davis who also goes by the name Gabriella Magnusson.

On Aug. 6, Kinnaman filed for and was granted a temporary restraining order against Davis after he accused her of extortion. According to his legal team, Davis threatened to publicize false information about Kinnaman in the past. 

photos
Biggest Celeb Dramas Ever

"It appears that after learning of the restraining order, she filed her complaint," Kinnaman's attorney Patricia Glaser told E! News on Aug. 11. "The court papers that Mr. Kinnaman filed stated, among other things, that Ms. Davis threatened to publicize false information about Mr. Kinnaman—including that he had sex with her against her will—unless he capitulated to her monetary and other demands, which included Hollywood introductions, a work visa sponsorship, a blue verification checkmark on Instagram, and more. Mr. Kinnaman will be cooperating with police to clear his name."

Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic

E! News has reached out to Davis for comment and has not heard back.

Before Davis filed her report, Kinnaman took to Instagram and explained why he asked for a restraining order against the Swedish model.

"While it is mortifying and scary to come forward about all of this," he wrote to his 1.3 million followers, "what feels worse is enduring the escalating daily threats of physical harm to me and my loved ones and threats to go to the press with fabricated, vile rumors unless I agree to a list of demands that includes money, Hollywood connections, helping to secure a work visa, a verified Instagram page, a Wikipedia page, a photoshoot with Sports Illustrated, an additional $400,000 USD for an apartment and more." 

In his Instagram statement, Kinnaman said he had a romantic, consensual relationship with the model when he was single in 2018. He went on to allege that Davis tried to communicate with him in 2019 and 2020 but he "did not respond" because he was in a relationship.

Back in 2019, Kinnaman made his red carpet debut with model Kelly Gale. They would later announce their engagement in January 2020.

After Kinnaman posted his Instagram statement, Davis reacted to his claims in a statement to E! News saying the actor "should have an Oscar for how he's writing and acting. I never ever threatened or asked for money." 

Court documents show Kinnaman's temporary restraining order against Davis has been granted and is in effect until the next court date, which is scheduled for Aug. 31.

—Reporting by Holly Passalaqua

Peacock is live now! Check out NBCU's new streaming service here.