Things aren't only complicated for Denise Richards, they're downright secretive.

Attorneys for both Richards and Charlie Sheen returned to their home away from home this afternoon, the Los Angeles Superior Courthouse, for an emergency closed hearing in their ongoing and ever-acrimonious custody case.

Though neither side divulged exactly what the issue at hand was, both emerged from the session claiming to be no less than ecstatic with the commissioner's ruling.

"We are very happy," Sheen's attorney, Fern Wender, said, adding that the Two and a Half Men star has retained his visitation rights with his daughters. "The commissioner denied the majority of [Richard's] motion. Charlie is thrilled with the result."

While Sheen was not present for the hearing, Richards did accompany her attorney, Neal Hersh, to the courthouse, and the duo put their own spin on the meeting's results.

"We are very pleased the judge took the time," Hersh said. "We are very pleased. Denise will implement these orders and hopes Charlie will implement them."

Richards herself said she was "happy with the result. It's all about the kids."

As for what went on behind closed doors? "It was a serious issue that benefited the welfare of the children. It was a win situation for the children," said Hersh.

Added Sheen publicist Stan Rosenfield: "Charlie only wants what is best for his young children. It is unfortunate that Richards and her attorney are trying to create a media circus to help her promote her reality television series."

The meeting was originally intended to take place last Thursday, when the reality star first sought an emergency protective order to somehow alter her and Sheen's current custody and visitation breakdown. The hearing was postponed until today when their case's presiding commissioner, Harvey Silberman, was back on the bench.

While it remains unclear what event, if any, prompted Richards' legal motion last week, which coincidentally (or perhaps not, to hear Sheen's camp tell it) broke on the same day as the CBS star's Emmy nomination, she and Hersh brought along a video to show the court this morning in hopes of boosting their cause.

In the end, however, the mysterious video was never shown, nor were its contents made known.

An expert also testified during the closed court session, but, again, the nature of that testimony remains unclear.

Wender, however, said outside the courthouse that she was "very pleased" with the expert analysis.

Prior to this morning's hearing, Richards told E! News that her frequent appearances at the courthouse were as grating on her as on the public having to hear about them.

"No one wants to go to court," she said. "It's horrible. It's not for publicity, it's for the kids."

Originally published Monday, July 21, 2008 at 2:10 p.m. PT

  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share

We and our partners use cookies on this site to improve our service, perform analytics, personalize advertising, measure advertising performance, and remember website preferences. By using the site, you consent to these cookies. For more information on cookies including how to manage your consent visit our Cookie Policy.