Rihanna, Chris Brown

AP Photo/ Evan Agostini, AP Photo

His world may be in upheaval, but Chris Brown isn't talking yet.

While information continues to trickle out into what was apparently an ugly dispute between the R&B star and his girlfriend, Rihanna, one of his major sponsors, Wrigley's gum, is distancing itself from the 19-year-old "Forever" singer.

Although the Los Angeles Police Department issued a statement Sunday night saying Brown had been arrested on suspicion of making criminal threats and could face additional charges now that the case had been forwarded to the district attorney, prosecutors tell E! News that the announcement was premature and the investigation is ongoing.

"LAPD are telling some reporters that we received the evidence but we have not received anything yet," says Jane Robison, spokeswoman for the county D.A. "Normally it would come in today, maybe this afternoon but no, they haven't presented it and I don't know when they will."

Robison says that the probe is still continuing—unusual for such cases—as detectives want to make sure they do a thorough job given a celebrity is involved.

Brown's camp, including newly hired criminal attorney Mark Geragos, has remained mum on the incident.

Meanwhile, LAPD spokeswoman April Harding is shooting down a TMZ report from earlier today (since corrected) that claimed Brown used "a deadly weapon" during his alleged attack.

"There is absolutely no truth to that story. If it had been a deadly weapon involved he would have been charged with a deadly weapons charge," says Harding.

Citing department policy for domestic violence cases, Harding declined to release the name of the victim. Multipe sources have confirmed to E! News that it indeed was Rihanna, the 20-year-old songstress Brown has been dating for over a year.

Brown and Rihanna apparently got into a nasty fight around 12:30 a.m. Sunday while heading home from Clive Davis' annual pre-Grammy party, which they had cheerily attended.

Brown was booked on suspicion of making criminal threats, a count that carries a maximum penalty of four years, and was released from jail on $50,000 bail. His rented silver Lambourghini remains impounded.

Rihanna, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, suffered visible bruises and cuts on her face and was hospitalized, though it is not clear if she remains a patient.

Her publicist has refused to comment on the situation other than to point to Sunday's statement claiming the "Disturbia" diva was doing "well" and thanking fans for their "concern and support."

Sources at her Def Jam Records label have suggested that she may scrap an upcoming Asian tour. The performer is set to play a concert this Friday at Stadium Purta in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, however in order to keep that date, she'd have to leave Los Angeles no later than Wednesday.

As for Brown, he's still scheduled to participate in the NBA's All-Star festivities in Phoenix on Feb. 15, including playing in a celebrity game two days prior.

Finally, in the wake of the allegations, Wrigley has suspended advertisements for Doublemint gum featuring Chris Brown until the case has been resolved. One of the commercials ran during last night's Grammy Awards, which Brown and Rihanna both sat out.

—Additional reporting by Claudia Rosenbaum

  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share