Oops! She's about to do it again!
MTV has announced that Britney Spears will be returning to the Video Music Awards stage on August 28 to perform at the show for the first time in ten (yes, ten!) years.
So far, we only know the singer will give a debut performance of her new song "Make Me..." featuring G-Eazy, which is off her upcoming album Glory. However, the network did release a teaser video for the performance, and it's giving us some serious nostalgia.
Britney's voice is heard bellowing over background music as the camera pans through her dressing room. "The VMAs don't just give you a stage. They give you a story—some way of taking a fraction of a second and making it live forever," she says. "Before you know it, it's history. Before you know it, it's Britney, bitch!"
In fact, as the video progresses, we're taken through a history of the various costumes BritBrit made famous during all of her VMA performances:
1. The Snake: The video opens with that famous white python Brit carried on her shoulders during her 2001 performance of "I'm a Slave 4 U," which slithers through her history of performance costumes in her dressing room.
2. The Red Jumpsuit: Yes, her "Oops! I Did It Again" red, leather jumpsuit is (of course) the first item we see.
3. Her Wedding Costume: In one of her most controversial moments, Britney hit the stage in a wedding costume to sing "Like a Virgin" with Madonna and Christina Aguilera in 2003. As you likely recall, she and Madge ended up making out—a moment that will go down in history as one of pop culture's best. In the teaser, the camera pans past the same costume and all the pearls Brit donned for that show, which we'll never forget!
4. The Top Hot and the Bejeweled Bodysuit: Brit's 2000 performance of "Satisfaction" and "Oops! I Did It Again" created costumes for decades as she started off in a men's tuxedo and top hat, which she eventually ripped off to reveal a flesh-colored, bejeweled bodysuit. Both of these items were features in the teaser as the python slithers past them.
5. "It's Britney, Bitch:" The video concludes with the singer's go-to phrase "Britney Bitch," which is illuminated in a neon sign. She opened her 2007 performance of "Gimme More" at the VMAs with the same phrase.
Needless to say, the teaser has us counting down to Britney's upcoming performance. We can't wait to watch her tear the house down on Sunday, Aug. 28 at 9 p.m. when the VMAs go live from Madison Square Garden in New York City.
(By the way, yes we know she performed at the 2007 VMAs, but MTV is counting it as 10 shows since she last performed).