• Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
Jon Jones

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images

Fans are undoubtedly shocked after UFC President Dana White announced that Jon Jones was being stripped of his light heavyweight title and suspended indefinitely as a result of his alleged involvement in a recent hit-and-run incident in New Mexico.

During an appearance on Fox Sports Live, White shared that he met with Jones near his home in Albuquerque

"He didn't say a lot. Obviously, he's got to handle his legal proceedings. His lawyer didn't say much. We basically went in there—what we wanted to find out was what the facts were," he explained.

"A lot of things are being said out there about what happened that day. A lot of them are untrue. A lot of them are speculation, and we wanted to hear Jon's side of the story, and we wanted to hear what his lawyer had to say about it."

White further shared that the 27-year-old boxing star was deeply saddened by the UFC's decision to suspend him.

"Obviously he's very disappointed. He's upset. He wanted to go down as one of the greats, or the greatest ever. He's disappointed, but it is what it is. It's the decision we had to make," he said on camera.

"Obviously we have a guy like Jon Jones who has defended his title as many times as he has—and for us to go in and have to strip him of his title and suspend him, it's not fun. But as they say, the show goes on."

Earlier this week, Jones turned himself in an was arrested on a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident. He posted $2,500 bail and left the Bernalillo Country Metro Detention Center Monday night.