AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi
Christian Bale's "deeply personal matter" has suddenly become a non-existent one.
British authorities have confirmed that The Dark Knight star will not face any charges in connection with his highly-publicized yet detail-scarce arrest on suspicion of assaulting his mother and sister last month.
"We can today confirm that we have advised the Metropolitan Police Service that the actor Christian Bale should not face any charges," the Crown Prosecution Service said in a statement released today.
The CPS also said there was "insufficient evident to afford a realistic prospect of conviction" on the charges and that "the police have been advised that no further action should be taken against Mr. Bale."
He is, however, expected to receive a caution by police next month.
The 34-year-old box office king was taken into police custody over the July 20 incident in the midst of a publicity blitz for the European premiere of the Batman flick, after allegedly assaulting—whether verbally or physically was never confirmed—his female relations at London's Dorchester Hotel.
Though theories abounded as to the cause of the conflict—claims of financial goading from his 40-year-old sister Sharon and 61-year-old mother Jenny seemed to dominate British tabloid reports—Bale remained tight-lipped on the ordeal, deflecting questions lobbed during his press junkets by referring to the matter as a private one.
"Whilst the CPS treats all incidents which take place in a domestic context seriously, it is important that the views of complainants are also taken into account when making decisions in such cases," the CPS said.
For his part, Bale has denied the allegations from the outset. He was arrested, questioned and released by police on July 22.