Having expressed our shock, dismay and overall disbelief earlier today that The Tourist earned a Golden Globe nod in the Best Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical category, it got us thinking about the flicks that were way funnier (read: better) that didn't make the cut. (No, Sex and the City 2 does not count.)
Sure, Burlesque somehow managed to sneak in there too, but we're a bit more forgiving with that one. After all, when was the last time you actually laughed so hard at a movie?
Here now are the movies that totally got overlooked in favor of The Tourist:
1. The Other Guys: Maybe the Hollywood Foreign Press (the folks behind the Globes) thought that because they were already giving Mark Wahlberg plenty of recognition by awarding six nominations (including one for the actor himself) to his more serious film The Fighter, they could pass on his comedic collaboration with Will Ferrell.
2. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: We'll admit when we first saw the trailers for this effects-laden comedy, we kinda had our doubts. But we like Michael Cera, so we decided to give it a shot. Something Globe voters obviously didn't do.
Adam Taylor/Screen Gems
3. Easy A: Please explain to us how Emma Stone can receive a well-deserved nomination, but the smart, sexy high-school film that effectively showcases her talent gets completely overlooked? That decision deserves an F.
4. Get Him to the Greek: Seeing how we're talking about movies that got snubbed in a category that honors both comedies and musicals, you would think that a funny film revolving around a rock star would have been at the top of the list.
5. Toy Story 3: Not surprisingly, this one earned a spot in the Best Animated Feature Film category, and rightfully so. But it's also pretty unfair that one of the best reviewed movies of the year gets excluded from a category simply because it's a cartoon. Oscar, take note.